LARGE Bristle worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
I spotted a 3 inch long bristle worm this morning, about the size of an earth worm! A little to big for my dottyback to eat!

So, will this thing eat my corals?...Do I need to trap it? It is red and black.

Some people find bristle worms to be useful detrivores. They certianly can get alot larger, so don't freak out when you see him a year from now, he'll still be peaceful.

I have few monsters much bigger then that in my tank and I have no problems with them. They are actually kind of neat. Although I did find one that was almost a foot long hanging from my mag float once....... he took a ride down the porcelin slide.

He is cool, but he isnt as cool as my coral....and I figured since they made traps for them, there had to be a reason people dont want them in their tanks.

That fugger is quick, I tried to catch him yesterday when I saw him.

People are afraid of them, therefore there is a market for traps. Very rarely do they develop a taste for coral, and that would be the time to get a trap.

I know they are called bristle worms, can they poke you with their bristles when you are moving LR or what not? I doubt one would let you get that close to it anyway!

bristle worms do hurt because the little hairs called setae will pierce your skin, it is very uncomfortable. fire worms have poisonous setae and they hurt even more.

I had some small bristleworms in my rock from liverock.com. I left them in my tank after reading about them being detritivores. A year later the had grown to 3"-4" and I removed them after catching them in the act of eating my zoanthids. HTH

Back
Top Bottom