leaking tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsikins00

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was getting ready to go to work and I noticed a drip from my tank corner(28 gallon bowfront).....I had sprung a leak. 8O I ran to meijers and bought a topless 29 gallon (I went there incase I decided to take it back and not keep the 29 gallon long term) set it down in front of my leaky tank and syphoned all the water from my 28 bowfront to my 29, transfered all my rocks, fish, urchins, crabs and snails. I left all my sand in my leaky tank and with about 1/2 inch water. (It isn't really leaking now that all the weight is off of it)
I have decided I like the standard 29 gallon better, and ordered a new stand and it sould be in next week. I'm moving down the street in about 3 weeks so I am content to leave the fish as they are in the "bottomless" tank until moving time. I was thinking that I could go buy another 29 gallon, put it in my new apartment with my new stand, putting my sand in with about 3 inches of water, and then taking my fish over with all the tank water they are in. Then I can keep the 29 they are in and use it as a refugium down the line. Does this seem ok? Is there going to be a big problem with this? I have tested the water twice a day since friday, and the only thing that has changed is the Trates went from 0 to 15, but seem to be holding steady there. Is there anything i need to be looking out for like my tank "crashing"? I'm feeding my urchins dried seeweed, is there anything that I should be doing for the crabs? I know there is a lot of bacteria that lives in the sand I'm mostly concerned with the bacteria lose. Thanks in advance.

SOunds like your bacterea load is fine for ammonia removal. The nitrate increase is likly a result of not having the sand bed. The bactera should be fine for a shot period. Now if your not going to add the sand back to the 29 but instead wait 3 weeks then I would suggest you 'feed' your bactera some fishfood on occasion.

great, I'll do that. I actually didn't think about feeding the bacteria. I filled the tank up to about 1 inch above the araganite and stuck a 12 inch bubbler in there to keep it all circulated. If I throw a shrimp in there now, think it will help the bacteria populate even more in three weeks?

Back
Top Bottom