Leather Coral Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok from my understanding that these are filter feeders.. Is there anything that I Should be feeding these??

What is recommended??

Is it just me or do people attach these corals to the most obscure piece of LR so that its hard to position it anywhere??? Any ideas as to how to position these better as the LR is extremely odd shaped and difficult to place..

Last question.. I read these grow towards the light.. Is this correct?? Should I not worry as to how its facing at the moment...

TIA,
James

BTW I will post pictures when he opens up.. Only been home for about 2 hours.. 1 hour Drip and 1 hour in the tank..

Ok from my understanding that these are filter feeders.. Is there anything that I Should be feeding these??

Leather corals are not primarily filter feeders, but are photosynthetic. They rely on their symbiotic algae (zooxanthellae) for growth, and as such, need moderate aquarium lighting (VHO or PC).

They will also catch some suspended food particles when the tank is fed - we feed our tank our >>Homemade Tank Food recipe<<

And yep, they will grow toward the light. I wouldn't place it totally out of the light, but if it is somewhat bent over or tilted, it won't hurt it; like a plant, it will reach toward the light on its own.

HTH,

As for lighting I have 330watt PC lighting... Plenty enough.. I find it extremely hard to place Corals in the tank due to the Oddly Shaped LR that many LFS place them on.. I need some advice as to how to better place them.. After 3 days of constantly messing with my Bubble Coral I finally got him into a place where is seems to like as well as the LR being stable.. Please help me with this last and Final Issue..

BTW here he is 2 hours after being in the tank..

Ok he is Now fully open but I had a few questions about him..

How long will it take for him to reach for the light???

I also heard that leathers are very easy to propagate... Is this true??? And is there any good places that you could refer me to for instructions for down the road...

TIA,
James

How long will it take for him to reach for the light???

I really don't knpw - probably a few weeks.

I also heard that leathers are very easy to propagate... Is this true?

Absolutely true. Have done it myself several times. It's as easy as cutting out a piece of the crown, and attaching that to a small piece of rock. It'll grow into a new coral, and the original will heal just fine.

I'll see if I can dig out a couple sites that give step by step methods.

Back
Top Bottom