Led lights and mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lobo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a Marineland Double Bright Led light for my 10g FOWLR... Could it be ok to ad some shrooms with this lightning and tank size? This lights look pretty bright in this small tank but I'm a rookie. Please advise!

Most zoas need medium light and medium circulation. Mushrooms have better sucess in medium light and mild circulation

SteveFishman said:
How many watts is your light???

(6) 1 watt daylight and (3) 1 watt lunar light whit a potency of 450 lumens

That's not that much but some zoas and mushrooms could make it..... Remember to cycle the tank first.

SteveFishman said:
That's not that much but some zoas and mushrooms could make it..... Remember to cycle the tank first.

Tank is cycled... My parameters are ammonia 0, ph 8.2, nitrites 0, nitrates 40 ppm... Nitrates are a bit high would the shrooms make it with 40 ppm? I'm trying as hard as I can to lower the level nut the PWC and 50% PWC doesn't seems to work even a bit...

Yeah high nitrates are a sign of the tank still cycling I would wait for them to drop down to zero and then do another pwc wait about a week and then if they are at zero slowly start to add them I would not buy more than one at a time

SteveFishman said:
Yeah high nitrates are a sign of the tank still cycling I would wait for them to drop down to zero and then do another pwc wait about a week and then if they are at zero slowly start to add them I would not buy more than one at a time

Actually nitrates are a good thing. Not that high of course. Its nitrite that he would have if not cycled.

Tank is been running for 2 months now isn't it suppose to be cycled yet?

Your readings indicate yes. You still need to get rid of those nitrates though. PWC is the only way to do it.

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Mine has some in already...

We cant say your leds arent strong enough just by wattage. There are some useless 1 watt leds and some incredible 1 watt leds.

I wouldn't use tap water, unless you test for everything and it all works out. I learnt the hard way, when we moved to the acreage I didn't even consider that the tap water might be unuseable. Turned out it was high in KH and im sure alot of other levels were way off too.

You could also try a coral that doesnt need light, like the suncoral. Ricordeas would do pretty good probably as well, the orange ones always really pop.

*edit* actually suncoral might not be the best for such a small tank, they require to be target fed which would dirty the tank up pretty quickly. Could try feeding mysis shrimp instead of a liquid additive though probably. Anyone else know if that would be bad??

carey said:
Your readings indicate yes. You still need to get rid of those nitrates though. PWC is the only way to do it.

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Mine has some in already...

Have been using distilled bottled water but I havnt tested it...I was convinced that I was overfeeding and changed the routine but I havnt seen any change

It's not the distilled water.... If there is anything in it take it back to the store and get your money back distilled water some be 100% pure

SteveFishman said:
It's not the distilled water.... If there is anything in it take it back to the store and get your money back distilled water some be 100% pure

Just tested the distilled water JIC and it's clean

Back
Top Bottom