Legit concern or just paranoia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfisher1139

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was checking the ingredients on my various foods looking for potential phosphate sources when I discovered that Aqueon (I know not the best of foods) flakes contained copper sulfate. Of course, I stopped using it, and tossed it, but I am wondering if this could've affected the long term health of my corals.

Wow, i never thought of the food directly polluting my water. I don't think you're paranoid just real crafty that you would have thought to look at the ingredients like that. I tossed all my aqueon food when i got the tanks. lol

Interested to know the answer to this as I fed less than spectacular food for quite a while.

Legit concern! It is used for controlling the growth of algae, mold and fungus, and I believe it is the last 2 as to why it's used. If it not removed I can see where it may build up to toxic proportions in the tank.

I occasionally use flake foods (Formula One) and it most certainly does not contain copper sulfate.

Legit concern! It is used for controlling the growth of algae, mold and fungus, and I believe it is the last 2 as to why it's used. If it not removed I can see where it may build up to toxic proportions in the tank.

I occasionally use flake foods (Formula One) and it most certainly does not contain copper sulfate.

I feed Formula Once once in awhile.

I usually stick to Rod's Food for everyday feeding since it doesn't have to be rinsed. Most frozen foods will make your nitrates climb if not rinsed before feeding.

@joy13 thanks for saving me another thread about a nitrate spike this morning. Maybe I should also wait a few hours after feeding to test too. LOL.

Rods Food is my staple. I feed it twice a week and substitute the flake once or twice a month. Yes, I feed my fish twice a week, not daily. It is better for them when in captivity.

Back
Top Bottom