Light on fuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just curious, what is the best time to leave a light on a fuge? I've heard some people leaving it on 24/7 , others leaving it on when the tank lights are on and I've also heard of some people doing a 'reverse' lighting wit hthe fuge light on at night and then off in the day. Whats everyones opinion of the best option?

Just curious, what is the best time to leave a light on a fuge? I've heard some people leaving it on 24/7 , others leaving it on when the tank lights are on and I've also heard of some people doing a 'reverse' lighting wit hthe fuge light on at night and then off in the day. Whats everyones opinion of the best option?

I don't have a fuge, but if I did I would not keep the lights on 24/7 because the macro doesn't need that much light. I would keep them on during the time my tank lights are on or if I wanted to save a few amps/watts and not overload the circuit more than it already is, I would run them at night when the display tank lights are off.

The answer may depend on what kind of macro algae you have in your fuge. Some kinds of calupera (not sure of the spelling someone please correct this) will go sexual under certain conditions which releases its seeds into the water. This puts a large amount of nutrients back into the water and can pollute a tank. So you have to be very careful about you light timer with these kinds of macro. Many people have had success with these macros by keeping fuge lights on 24/7 as this is believed to help keep the plant from releasing seeds.

On the other hand many people also do a reverse lighting from thier main display as it helps to keep the PH of the system more stable. I believe (and i could have this part wrong) the lights heat up the air over the tank which causes more carbon dioxide to disolve into the water and reduce the PH. Keeping the lights in the fuge on in reverse helps to keep the PH from fluctuating as much when the main tank lights turn off. Don't quote me on this but i do know for sure it helps to keep the PH more stable.

Keeping the lights on at the same time as the main i would assume is just a matter of convienence.

I have little doubt that any of these lighting scemes would grow your macro just fine.

If you have an off-peak tariff for your electricity (some parts of the world do) where it's cheaper to run things in off-peak periods, it might be better to have them on from say 10pm to 6am. If anyone else knows some ways to cut costs like that I'd be really interested.

Pat's correct except for this:"I believe (and i could have this part wrong) the lights heat up the air over the tank which causes more carbon dioxide to disolve into the water and reduce the PH." It has nothing to do with heat. Plants take in CO2 during the day (lights) and give off O2. At night(with no light) plants give off CO2 and take in O2. This causes PH to drop at night. If you run the lights at night you counter act this. That is the reason for running the lights at night.....

The PH thing you guys mentioned makes perfect sense. I could see how that would help keep the PH more stable, continuosly. When I setup my new 180-gallon I did lots of reading and I decided that a refugium was more of a hassle than it is worth, so I skipped it. There are many successful tanks that are refugiumless.

Thanks for the info so far! I've just got a small ball of chaeto in there right now. I'll look into starting the reverse cycle tonight. Thank you!

Many people have had success with these macros by keeping fuge lights on 24/7 as this is believed to help keep the plant from releasing seeds.

Right on the money Pat. If you are using calerpa there is only two choices. 1) 24/7 or 2) an opposite or reversed lighting schedule from what your main tank is.

I've done it both ways and over the last year and a half I've kept my fuge light on 24/7. If you don't want to run the light all the time then a reverse schedule is the best option. As mentioned it will help keep your pH stable overnight.

When I was running a reverse schedule I had the fuge light come on right before the MHs went out and then turn off right after they came back on.

Back
Top Bottom