Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2004, 09:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lighting

I have florecents. I would like to add moon light and possibly get better lighting. Any suggestions? I would like to have an anemone and some corals in the future. But right now i am concerned about the comfort and stress that the Florecesnts may be causing. Id like to get moonlight so that it can go on first for a while before the main lighting goes on, and do that same at night. And is it ok to keep the moonlight on all night long?

thanks

Old 05-10-2004, 10:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Yes, it's ok to keep moonlights on all night. Orbit makes a pc fixture with moonlights build into it, I'd check them out if you looking to get everything in one fixture.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

THANKS... as far as lighting for corals and anemones? What is the ideal type?
Old 05-10-2004, 10:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

It depends on your tank size. I have been shopping around like crazy for lights. I finally picked up a set of JBJ 4X65 (260w) PC lights for my 55 gal. So far everyone has told me that the lights will be fine for any type of coral. Some people have told me that you will need MH lights to keeps clams and such, but my LFS said that I can keep anything with that setup and he had the chance to sell me a $800 MH setup so I believe him. Plus the specialize in Reefs setups. but take it for what it is worth I am still a newb.. I am just passing on the information that was given to me from what seems like a reputable source.. HTH.

Here is another good set that is fairly cheap they have 3 moon lights unlike the JBJ and come with true 03 lighting as well as 10,000K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...geName=MERC_VI
Old 05-10-2004, 11:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I found these:

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/bluemoonglow.html

IMO i think that these will not disperse as well as a strip. Am i correct?
Old 05-10-2004, 11:54 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
It really depends on what corals you want to keep. Anemones require a good bit of light and will do best under MH. You want to have a tank that's at least a year old to add an anemone...they are difficult to keep alive. For soft corals, the PC setup will be fine. If you want to keep SPS corals, you'll probably need MH or more PC's.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to nutrak
you had better be real sure you dont want sps or carpet anemones before you skip over the metal halides. i originally had vho...200white 200 actinic for a total of 400watts. then i got hit with the sps bug. had to switch over to MH and boy was that an expensive upgrade. i wish i had used the money on the vhos for the MH. electricity bill wen through the roof too...fyi
Old 05-10-2004, 01:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

just got a quote for a 36" long 4x96 watt daylight and moon light. They want $440.00 for it? is this a good price? are there any websites that offer a discounted price?

thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 01:29 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
What size tank do you have?
Old 05-10-2004, 01:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

65 GALLON,
36 long x 18 deep x 24 high

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com