Lighting a topless tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cplawrence

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29 that a coralife 130W PC strip over it. The tank is running topless. I was a little concerned though when I read the following on www.hello-lights.com.

Q. I heard that you should remove the glass lid and glass cover from my lighting in order to get more light to my tanks, is this true?
A. Absolutely NOT! NEVER run ANY electrical component such as lighting directly over exposed water!!! Metal Halide bulbs, especially HQI, need to be run completely enclosed and protected from the elements, such as water splash and humidity. Running HQI without the glass will expose your tank, and you for that matter, to dangerous UV light rays. Direct UV exposure can kill your corals and plants.

Is this more of an issue for MH lighting or am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks,
Chris

"I heard that you should remove the glass lid and glass cover from my lighting"
Keep in mind, they are talking about the glass covering on the lighting system, not the tank.

LOL! No problem. I missed it the first time I read it too!

Had me worried there for a while. I thought I had meesed up the last nine yrs. LOL. But yes they are talking about the system itself. Good catch Scott

Back
Top Bottom