Lighting Question for 100 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 100 gallon and currently have a set up of 4 60" VHO bulbs. I chose VHO as the canopy I have is very low profile. The bulbs are about 2" off the water. So if I go with any other lighting, I will need to toss the canaopy. That being said, I considered MH lighting. However I dont want to spend a bazillion dollars to do this. Any ideas on MH lights and not buying one of the fancy setups that have moonlights, fans, etc in them? Being that the tank is 60" long, I would almost need 2 MH's - one for each end. I even thought about (since the tank is like 24" from front to back), getting 2 of the 24" setups for each side and run the mounting legs from front to back instead of the normal side to side. Any thoughts?

mh's give off about a 2foot by 2foot square. that being said u might need 3 unless tou aid it with moe lights in between.

jbj makes a nice halide from 175watt to 400watt retro fit. i have two 175 halides on my three foot 60ga tank. you could get away with 2 if you wanted but if you could get thee it would look beter. why dont you like the lights that are on your tank now? dont forget halides put off alot of heat and you will need to do something like a chiller of fans in the canopy to get the hot air out. the jbj halides are like 260 i think.

I'm guessing you tank isn't really tall.?.

I would suggest 3 175w and have them at least 10" off the water. You can supplement them with 2 of your current VHO(actinics). I don't think you are going to need a chiller unless you are going to keep everything closed up. As long as you have fans in the canopy to remove the heat build up you should be fine. I have 2 175w MHs on my 120 (4' tank) along with 2 VHOs and 2x54w T5HO, all I have are fans in my canopy to keep the heat down. My tank temp never gets above 81.5 and I keep it close to 80.

Aquarium Lights Hellolights.com has some great deals on retro kits if you are up for a little diy. You will save a lot of money doing it this way.

Back
Top Bottom