Lighting requirements for an Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newsalt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm just starting a new aquarium in a 15g high tank. It is 18.5 inches tall. It currently has the same 1 bulb floresent light and black cover with the flip open lid I used when it was used for freshwater fish. The cycle just fished and I only have 5 snails and 1 small blue leg hermit crab. The tank has a Skilter 250 that has been modified with a wooden airstone. It has about 20 lbs of LR and 20 lbs of aragonite sand. I was wnating to have a pair of perc. clownfish and a royal gramma. Lately, I've been toying with the idea of also having a anemone but dont know what I need as far as a lighting upgrade. Can someone recommend what to do for lighting?

Thanks

Anemones require very high lighting, excellent water quality, good flow, and are not recommended for beginners by any means. In the wild anemones live for ages but often in captivity they whither and die. Some have luck and keep them alive for a few years but they are definitely high maintenance. If you insist on trying one, you would probably want at least 2 or 3x55 watt PC lights or a 175watt MH lights. Look around online for tank bred anemones as they may fare better than wild caught. Good luck! :)

Unfortunately, I don't believe any anemones would do well in a 15g high tank. Aside from the fact that most host anemones get fairly large, trying to create enough light while dealing with the issues that come with it (heat and resulting evaporation) would probably make it difficult to keep the tank parameters stable. I think this would be one animal that would be best to pass on until your next tank :wink: (No one stops at one!)

I also would like to caution you on the clown/gramma combo. I currently have this in my 30g and the gramma has become more and more aggressive in recent months towards the clowns (and flairs at the bangaii cardinal) who were introduced first. There is plenty of territory and food so I cannot figure out any direct cause for the aggression. There is no concrete proof, but I wanted to relay my experience. Perhaps a more sedentary goby would make a more peaceful addition.

Back
Top Bottom