lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have always used power compacts. I am now going to buy a retro kit for my new tank but VHO seems not only to be cheaper, but also claims to cut back on algae. My question is, is there any differences when it comes to wattage? I know for moderate lighting i need 4 watts per gallon...this is the same with VHO right? Are there any drawbacks to this type of lighting before I order? My husband noticed that there is only two bulbs and it doesn't seem like it would be enough after using power compacts...that would be 4 across for the same wattage???

IMO, there isn't a significant difference in the performance of VHO or PC. Each has it's pros and cons. I usually use PC's because I have found them to be cheaper and they don't require a specialized ballast like the VHO's do. VHO bulbs are slightly less intense than PC's, but as I said, I don't think it's a significant difference. VHO's are more resistant to corrosion due to the fact that the endcaps seal up around the bulb. What size tank is it? What VHO combination are you considering? What will you want to keep in the tank?

Do not rule out T-5's Coralvue has some very affordableT-5 Retro kits availible. T-5's put out more lumens than VHO and PC and hold there spectrum longer as well!

Back
Top Bottom