Lights..can I? Should I?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cnaugh

Aquarium Advice Regular
Getting back into a reef. The tank is a 75 Gallon and I drilled it two days ago. I recently purchased the Coralife four bulb compact fluorescent with lunar lights. The guys at my local store said I made a mistake and T5 HO was the only way to go. Now I'm wondering if I can by a Coralife two bulb T5 HO, place them in front of the CF, and use them all together??? Thoughts???

And it should be "buy", not "by"! Lol

2 bulb on a 75 wont let you keep much. Can you take the CF back and upgrade to a 4 bulb T5 or some LED's? What are you wanting to keep? With 4 T5's you can keep soft and some LPS corals but no SPS...

That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping using both lights would increase my ability to keep a better variety. To answer your question of "what I'm going to keep?" I really don't know. I do know I want to keep whatever my 8 year old likes.

While keeping your 8 year old happy, be careful about what you buy. Removing dead fish and corals are not a lesson you want to teach him/her. Just be conservative.

T5 is not the only way to go. While I do like them better than power compacts, There are metal halides and also LEDs that will work. LEDs being the most efficient of them all.

Price a new T5 fixture with the bulbs ( which you will replace as many as twice a year) and a $129 LED fixture looks pretty affordable.

Going led shopping soon. Can I use it in conjunction with the power compacts?

Going led shopping soon. Can I use it in conjunction with the power compacts?

You could...but the reason then becomes "why"? The right LEDs will be more than enough and put a much better look to your tank than PC lighting could ever try to do. BTW, I'd suggest looking at the Taotronics LEDs as they are the cheapest you'll find that'll support corals...before you end up with a Marineland unit that lies about being able to keep coral under them.

Back
Top Bottom