Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

My plan is to build the canopy next month and stick with the lights and coral that I currently have. Then in April I'll get 1 or 2 of the double bulb t5 setups. Then probably in May add the last one. I'm a high school teacher so it's hard to drop it all at once on my salary 😄

Old 02-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would keep what you have until you've saved up for quality lighting. If you say these corals you have are doing exceptionally well, I would wait.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry Mr. X forgot to mention that... I'm not gonna add any new corals until I have the entire new light setup completed and installed.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I understand, but my point is, save up a few hundred and get the right lighting, instead of piecing together something that you aren't going to be happy with.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
I understand, but my point is, save up a few hundred and get the right lighting, instead of piecing together something that you aren't going to be happy with.
I would have to agree. Save it all up first. Then just get it all done at once. I opted for a fixture over a canopy mostly because I needed the air flow between my lights and tank seeming as I have a metal halide fixture. But I looked at piecing together all sorts of stuff because we aren't exactly rolling in it either but it was well worth the wait when I got that fixture on Tuesday.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm using a 4 bulb t5 deep blue sloar extreme and have mushrooms zoas a Duncan and now a open brain trachyphilia and they are doing great so far. But was hoping it would be enough light. Seems like enough but this is my first go at salwater.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't view it as a problem if I'm slowly upgrading the system as I go since everything is stable and doing well right now.
Step 1: build canopy and continue using the 2 t8s
Step 2: buy a dual t5 attach it to the lid and add it to the tank. So 2 t8 and 2 t5
Step 3: buy another dual t5 attach it to the lid and replace one of the t8's. So 4 t5's and 1 t8.
Step 4: buy another dual t5 attach it and end with 6 t5's in the canopy

Am I seeing something wrong cause the way I'm looking at it that at every step I'm improving the lighting on the tank.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have a point if that's what will work best for you. But I think can be done cheaper if you purchase a 6 bulb t5 from the start...

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, light, lights, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com