Limpets gone wild...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT79

Aquarium Advice Addict
Recently, about 2 months ago, I saw my first limpet. Now there are about 10-15 of them of various sizes(upto 1/8 inch across) around were I saw the first. They are white w/ occasional brown spots/patterns. Anyone ever have a similar outbreak of these? I have not seen any coral damage yet, but I'm getting alarmed by the growing numbers!

Most true Limpets are herbivores so your corals are probably safe. I'll take that back if you're talking about Keyhole Limpets though (not true Limpets).

No key holes, but I'm still wary. The population grew so fast!! I got some info and they seem to be some what common and not problematic. Thanks bang guy.

I've had a similar event with my 27 gal just after it was set up several years ago and I added the LR. There have been numerous small limpets in the tank since. None have ever grown beyond about ¼" that I have noticed and as yet no corals have been adversely affected.

Cheers
Steve

Steve - Check out the inside of your plumbing. That's where the larger ones live in my system ;) especially on the overflow. They must live off the accumulated bacteria there.

Started doing that after first seeing them but to date have not seen anything of a larger size. I still regularly check after lights out as well. I do not have a sump just a skimmer and Fluval so very little in the way of plumbing. I thought it rather odd there could be so many without a larger "parent" but mabye that's just normal for the type of species.

Thanks for the suggestion though 8)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom