Tank specs first:
65x4 w PCs
3-6 inch DSB
All tests are normal using a fresh kit (salinity, PO4
) except pH, which is a little low (7.8-8.0).
I set up my tank about two months ago with just saltwater, a sandbed, and some base rock, and I seeded the sand about a month ago. I pretty much just left the lights off. Last week I put 40lbs of liverock in the tank and since then I have left the lights on every day for about 12 hours. In the last 3 days I have had a huge outbreak of brown algae (or diatomes, not sure which) that has covered the sandbed and the rock.
I have been leaving the lights on because the rock had beautiful coralline on it and I didn't want it to die off. What should I do? If I cut back on lighting will the coralline suffer? Will the brown algae kill off the good algae on the rock?
The cleanup crew (snails, crabs, stars) arrives tomorrow and hopefully they'll take care of the situation. Odd that I have such a large algae problem and I don't even have any fish yet.