Looking for a good method.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcurrie1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I just started a new tank and got algae under control. In order to grow purple algae I was told to make sure you add alot of calcium. However, I have learned that calcium effects alkalinity and PH alot. Can anyone please explain this in detail? I can find alot of getting started stuff on forums, but nobody has explained the once you are started method. If I am looking at only having fish, crabs, shrimp, mushrooms and other basic inverts what should I add / test for? I test the amnia, nitrate, calcium and nitrate regularly. Anyone mind giving their normal testing/additives that has a successful saltwater tank? Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!

That algae you're talking about is called "Coraline Algae." To grow this in your tank, you must do several things.

-Dose your tank with calcium (Test for it)
-Keep your Alkalinity up (Test for it)
-Seed your tank with Coraline via liverock
-Buff your tank's PH

It's hard to find a place to even start explaining additives for the tank. Talk to the LFS about it, and read as much as you can.

I test for
-Nitrates
-Ammonia
-Alkalinity
-Ph
-Calcium
Weekly.

I've noticied that my Coraline grows best when my Calcium and Alkalinity is up. I also use two different products "Coraline Stimulator," and "Purple Up."

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom