lost power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba_steve

Aquarium Advice Addict
lost power from 4pm to around 2 am ! only have one battery powered airpump which i moved to the 3 tanks every 30 minutes ! so far my only loss are both jawfish for some reason ! the blue tang was looking a bit stressed but doing ok so far :) guess i need to get a generator but know when i buy one ill never need it ?!? what a long night i tell ya :-(

I am so sorry to hear about the losses. If you don't go for the generator, pick up a few battery operated air pumps.

well it was like 90+ outside as well so the house got hot fast ! yea gonna at least get a few more pumps they saved me alot of issues for sure :)

Ouch really sorry to hear about that.. hopefully all the rest will pull through fine. 10 hrs is a long time without power! I'd say you did a pretty good job considering.

Sorry for your loss SS

I bought a battery backup for my home computer a while back and one day the electricity went out. The only thing that I could think of to get the pump going again was the battery backup, so i stuck it on the tank and its been there ever since.

It wont run the big pump for very long, but it would run a power head, or multiple air pumps for a while. It's saved my bacon more than once.

Sorry for your losses. I purchased one of those converters that plug into your cigarette lighter at wal-mart for pretty cheap so if my power goes out I can run a long extension cord to my car and keep a pump or two running :wink:

Sorry to hear about the fish.... They are cool little guys.
Generator is a good thing to have. I use mine a couple times a year. For me its the piece of mind knowing that I have it. Used it during the big east coast blackout last year what a $$$$ saver it turned out to be. Think about it....... Hundreds of dollars in fish and maybe a thousand in Corals. My $500 generator is worth the money. I can run the whole house with the 5000 watt. My 125 reef and 55 fowlr, all the lights TV's, heat, water. Its a beautiful thing...

well i think i only lost one jawfish seen one this morning ! my guess is due to all the lights going out one jumped ship but cant find him anywhere ? had a 55 on a iron stand once and a jawfish jumped out and somehow got between the bottom of the tank and the top of the stand ?? dont ask me how but didnt find him till i moved and removed the tank :-/ so who knows were he flopped to :-( yea my girlfriend wants me to get a generator for sure now :)

seaham358 said:
Sorry to hear about the fish.... They are cool little guys.
Generator is a good thing to have. I use mine a couple times a year. For me its the piece of mind knowing that I have it. Used it during the big east coast blackout last year what a $$$$ saver it turned out to be. Think about it....... Hundreds of dollars in fish and maybe a thousand in Corals. My $500 generator is worth the money. I can run the whole house with the 5000 watt. My 125 reef and 55 fowlr, all the lights TV's, heat, water. Its a beautiful thing...

I need to get a generator. That blackout wiped out almost all my fish in my FO tank. Didn't loose anybody that day or night but all that stress and lack of water circulation brought on a heavy duty case of ick over the next few days that I could not contain. At least $1000 in fish.

IF I had the money, which I don't, I'd be buying some solar powered stuff. There are some decent systems that will run an entire house that are getting cheaper these days..., still not cheap, but cheaper... I guess in some areas and states you can get money from the govt. for owning such stuff and in some places, since you stay hooked up to the elec co usually, the elec co. may purchase any excess electricity you produce... Just a little plug for alternative energy sources... If I could afford living that way I surely would. perhaps someday :roll: Something would be good though... just wait til there's another bad winter and the power goes out for days or something... not only will you have to worry about air current, you'll have to worry about temps too...

"I purchased one of those converters that plug into your cigarette lighter at wal-mart for pretty cheap so if my power goes out I can run a long extension cord to my car and keep a pump or two running"

Good idea, a power inverter, they can usually run a few hundred watts...

Back
Top Bottom