Low nutrients slowing LPS growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a 20g mixed reef and have abysmally poor growth rates on most of my LPS corals. My Duncan looks great and healthy but hasn't grown a new head beyond it's first since september. My torch and frogspawn that were bought at approximately the same time are in the same boat with the duncan.

I first thought it was my alk, calc, and mag (which it was) but now that I have those levels under control the growth rate is still really poor which is making me think about other things that could be the cause.

My parameters hover around:
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - 0
Calcium - 400ish
Alkalinity 11dkH
Magnesium - 1200
Salinity - 1.025

Equipment:
120w LED light
10g refugium w/ grape caulerpa and chaeto
no reactors or skimmer

Stock:
Snowflake blenny
2x Occ clowns
Kaudern Cardinal

Using an API test kit I haven't had a single positive reading for either nitrate or phosphate in nearly a year. However I recently bought a salifert phosphate kit and it tested at 0.0. The other readings are taken with a red sea test kit.

I feed 4 - 5 times a week with frozen mysis and twice a week with some nori for the blenny.

Would you think that it's my low nutrients that's the cause or should I look at other things?

shut off the skimmer a few days see if you see any difference
how often you do water changes

Stupid question, but is there proper flow on your corals?

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ah, then yes, you have enough flow. Tried moving them into higher/lower flow to see how they respond? I have had to move some multiple times to find their happy place

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've always found lps seem to like the water a little dirty, try brodcast feeding some mysis a few times a month and let your trates and po4 climb a little (~ 5ppm ish and .05ppm ish respectively) is about what I keep my lps systems at

I've always found lps seem to like the water a little dirty, try brodcast feeding some mysis a few times a month and let your trates and po4 climb a little (~ 5ppm ish and .05ppm ish respectively) is about what I keep my lps systems at

I actually feed my fish half a cube of mysis 3 times a week with flake food in between. My macros keep my nitrates and phosphates bottomed out.

Back
Top Bottom