LR in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it absolutely necessary to have a light over a sump? I put LR rubble all threw my sump but do not have a light in there.

Pros? Cons?

Hi folks! I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me identify this fish? Thanks for helping!

Is there any good supporting information because my lfs is telling me otherwise. However, they could be trying to make a sale.

Pros: added surface area for bio filtration and more places for pods. Cons: if it catches detritus or debris, they'll break down into ammonia.

crister13 said:
Pros: added surface area for bio filtration and more places for pods. Cons: if it catches detritus or debris, they'll break down into ammonia.

Ok, but concerning the lighting. Do pods or some sorts of BB do better with lighting?

Readingexcalibur said:
I feel hijacked haha, now back to the OPs question haha.

Sorry Ex, felt obligated to answer!!
As far as lighted sump...I don't think it really matters. Bacteria are there, that's the main purpose of the rock, so I don't think light would really do much, besides more coralline algae. If you offset the light, like on a refugium, it may help with diurnal Ph shift, but only a little, like a refuge. Just my opinion, but I don't see much advantage to lighting it. Also with light, just another place to grow algae!

Flreefer said:
Sorry Ex, felt obligated to answer!!
As far as lighted sump...I don't think it really matters. Bacteria are there, that's the main purpose of the rock, so I don't think light would really do much, besides more coralline algae. If you offset the light, like on a refugium, it may help with diurnal Ph shift, but only a little, like a refuge. Just my opinion, but I don't see much advantage to lighting it. Also with light, just another place to grow algae!

Haha, it's all good, I don't get personal over threads, just thought it was funny. Good points. I was going to do cheato, but I decided against it because it's a designer series stand and I had a hard enough time fitting the 5.5g sump.

Now, if you don't have a refuge, and wanted to add some Chaeto, then I think it would be a good idea. The light can be really cheap too. I bought a hood for a 20g tank at Wallyworld with 2 bulbs, and put to 50/50 CFL's in it....total cost was like $35.

I may go the cheato route, working on trying to fit the phosban reactor first haha. Then find room for the light.

Back
Top Bottom