Marine plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Howdy, I was wondering if I add a certain type of marine plant to my tank, will it help control algae? I didn't know what specie would be best and wouldn't take over the tank?

If you have a sump I would say to go with chaeto and a light, that is what most use to my knowledge, it isn't pretty so you may not want it in your dt.

Ya unfortunately I don't have a sump. I wouldn't mind something that isn't too good looking Cuz it would be better than algae taking over

There are many plants that can look beautiful in a display tank. I keep several macro algeas/ marine plants in my main tank and not in the sump. I prefer caulerpa and halimeda.

There are many plants that can look beautiful in a display tank. I keep several macro algeas/ marine plants in my main tank and not in the sump. I prefer caulerpa and halimeda.

Good call, that was my next idea. Shaving brush is also a good looking macro, not sure how well these all work since I don't have any. I do plan on adding some good looking macros to my soon to be fowlr.

Good deal, I may get a couple species and see how they do. I'll be moving next weekend so after that I'll get them all going. Thanks guys

Good to know that, any suggestions on what I should try?

caulerpa will reduce your nutrients and live aquaria says shaving brush will as well.

Macroalgae can be really gorgeous, especially the red imo. The dragon's breath is my favorite, but I have yet to buy some. I really like the Eucheuma Spinosum (red) portieria sp. (more orangish) and the red grape. I have a lot of different types and the marine plants that require calcium (like the H. Opuntia & C. Barbata) aren't as hardy in my experiences. Any type of caulerpa can take over fast so be aware. I got all my plants at live-plants.com. They have great portions for the price. Much cheaper than anywhere else I've found.

img_2603691_0_96e66a8e673bfbce67f8105142639b1f.jpg

That's really helpful thanks.

And about putting plants in the HOB, I did that in my 60 gallon freshwater. I used pothos vines. It worked extremely well. I just don't want to mess with an extra light about the aquarium. Especially on a saltwater tank

I would recommend the shaving brush and mermaid fan hear in Florida we can harvest up to a gallon a day when your diving and I have kept both and they do extremely well and even reproduce quick ,but the hermits will eat them if you have them ...

Nope, I'm in the lone star state! (texas)

I do dive but only on vacations and lakes

Back
Top Bottom