Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2006, 04:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Maroon Clown Aggression

Finally got to the point that I was ready to add a couple fish to my new 90 and went by the LFS tonight. They had a cute pair of maroon clowns that they just got today, and since I've always wanted a maroon clown I decided to take both of them. They are about 1.5" each.

Noticed right away that these guys are nothing like the pair of percula's that I have in my other tank. My percs have been buddies ever since the day I got them. These 2 maroons were fighting in the bag on the way home from the LFS. Tore up fins and all now 8O

Since getting them acclimated the fighting has stopped, but they have taken opposite corners in the tank. I fed them some formula one with garlic added and they are typical clowns in that respect, they eat like pigs.

Does anybody have experience with maroon clowns? Should they be kept solo, or will my 90 gallon be big enough to give them their own space? I don't see these two ever hitting it off.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
They are the most aggressive of the clowns, IMO. The problem is that they are similar in size. I have two in a 55 gallon, one was very small and then I introduced a large one. They have been getting along for 3 years now. I would think that your tank is big enough, but really, only time will tell.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Agreed, only time can tell. My one maroon rules my 55.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
my first sw tank i made the foolish mistake of getting a maroon clown and percula clown i ended up taking the maroon clown back, he harassed the percula and would dig up the sand hehe
Old 03-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I only have one big maroon clown. They are beautiful but fight all the time . Esp. with my tomato clown.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the replies. I was kinda worried the way things were going last night. It seems now that a truce has been declared. They actually bedded down together sometime after lights out. When the lights came back on today they sperated back to their respective sides of the tank. If they can live with that then I definetly can also
Old 03-24-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Andari
I bought a book just about Clownfish. I had no idea there were so many species of them. I'm really glad I started with the most mild tempered.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hmm, it seems that I've confused this situation even more. I was still having some aggression between the 2 clowns. The LFS had actually gotten 3 of these guys in together and 1 was quite a bit larger than the other 2. After reading Hara's post regarding size difference, I decided to go back and get the larger clown to see what difference that would make.

Now the situation is that all aggression has completely stopped and 1 of the smaller clowns is constantly with the larger (female?) one. Sounds good, better than before at least, but now I'm concerned about the other small one. He's not being picked on or bullied, but it seems like he's been excluded. I don't mind having 3 in the tank as I really like these clowns, and I was planning on keeping the bio-load fairly light with mostly inverts in the tank anyway. I guess my question is should I be worried about the little outcast, or do you guys/gals think that he'll do alright on his own? He's eating and otherwise doing fine, but I feel kinda sorry for him not having anybody to play with

He's a beautiful little fish otherwise and I'm sure I can trade him for something else without a problem. What do you think? Pretty amazing social interaction going on.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
glad I could help...to be honest, I would return the third fish. You may end up with serious problems later on.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

My stepson had a rather large maroon clown that would constantly push corals off the live rock.It became a trade-in at the lfs.

Tags
aggression, clown, maroon clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com