Mature Bubble?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not sure if this is the right area for this post, but I thought I'd share some pics of my green bubble coral. To piggyback off of melosu58's original post:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=102918
I've had my bubble for almost 2 years now (one of the first corals I've obtained once I went reef with my system). These pics really don't do justice to how far up it "extends", and the major difference once the lights are out. What is amazing is that the skeleton base of the coral is about the size of an egg, while the "flesh" is quite large/long!

Is this normal for how a bubble grows? Or is it just hungry for more light? (currently have a 150w, bubble is about mid-tank, off-center from the light.

tube99rk0.jpg

tube991tx3.jpg

tube994rz7.jpg

When the lights are out, the bubble gets hungry(???).....

tube992qr9.jpg

tube993dp9.jpg

IME it looks normal on the first couple pics. I`m dealing with the last couple pics now. I had mine in a hole and it raised up like that. I think it looks OK. I`ve never really figured out why it does what it`s doing in the last few pics.

Mine never gets that extended but does look similar sometimes after feeding. It kinda looks like your last photo around lights off.

I'm confident the last 2 photos are normal behavior, perhaps the coral's "food hunting" mode as the tentacles are all out in force.

It just amazes me how these creatures change and grow throughout a day, watching it turn from a shriveled up I-don't-know-what on a piece of skeleton rock to an amazing creature showing off it's glory! Ahh, the joys of reef keeping.

Back
Top Bottom