maxi-jets humming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bschnuck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thank you to the 2 guys who responded to my question regarding the maxi-jets. Well i did as you said, seem to be running fine, but the have this annoying hum coming from them right now. So much so if i didnt know better about these i would take them out as is really deters from the tank. Do they hum like this while they break in? or is there something else i did wrong to create this hum. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have had occasional noises, once so bad I replaced it with the one I use for mixing SW. Mine sounded more like something in the impeller--if that is the right term. I rinsed the unit and it was quite again.

Jeff

I have them attached on the back glass using the 3 suction cup hookups. As background to how i put them together, I assembled the strainer area and installed it, attached the piece that pushes the water out and plugged the hole, and then stuck them to the back. Any thoughts on what to do to correct this? Did i forget something? Should i shut them off and try turning them on again.

shutting the off and turning them on again a few times in a row will usually dislodge any "larger" things that may have gotten sucked up into them. For me this usually eliminates any unwanted noise. In general I can only hear the hum of my powerheads if I put my ear up to the glass where they are located.

Yeah they are supposed to run pretty much silent so try giving them a clean and see if that helps.. also make sure its not just something touching the powerhead or cable and vibrating.

It can get pretty loud if there's a snail close to it :roll:

Back
Top Bottom