maze/platygyra coral question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK... I'll add a picture to this thread once it gets approved in the gallery, but until then here's my question.

I've got a flat, plate type playtgyra (maze) coral that was encrusted over a flat saucer shaped rock when I bought it. I've got that rock/coral sitting about a 1/3 the way off the bottom of my tank, on a flat shelf of one of my rocks. It seems really happy there, as it's visibly growing closer and closer to the edge of it's original rock home. Looking at it tonight, it's starting to grow over the edge of it's rock. I've got maybe a 1/2" gap between it's rock and my live rock that it's sitting on. (Yeah... I know a picture will help here - it coming!)

I'm totally new to this coral thing and I'm wondering how it's going to continue growing? Is it going to curl over the edge of it's rock and continue growing on the bottom side? Or is it going to hang off the edge and span that gap between rocks - eventually encrusting the two rocks together, and continuing to grow onto my live rock? (That'd be cool!)

Any insight out there?

I'd say it will encrust it's rock, and eventually build up enough skeleton to bridge the gap. It will not grow on the underside of a rock due to lack of lighting. The pic will definitely help though

Thanks Lindsay... here's the photos:

DSC04946-1.JPG

DSC04948-1.JPG

The gap isn't as big as it looks in the picture. The photos are kind of shot from below, so it exagerated the gap. (No... that's not a whisker in the one picture - it's a feeler from my cleaner shrimp that molted yesterday. And yes... my Nemo is a big camera hog.)

Thanks! I thought it was pretty nice looking too, and saw it fitting in my tank in just the perfect spot. Unfortunately, it ended up being bigger than I realized and it didn't quite fit on this rock like I thought. (What else is new?!)

I saw it at a great fish/coral shop near me and passed it by once. When I went back to get it the second time, they'd raised the price by $20! Guess they saw me coming!

Sorry Kurt, I did not realize I was able to approve photos :oops: Yes, that will encrust onto the piece of LR, giving a nice, natural look. Nice piece.

I have a question. Would it be wise to make sure the coral's rock is attached to the rock underneath it, in the event the smaller rock gets moved/toppled? I don't know so I was just curious....

Good question roka64... I'd be curious also. There is a little cave between the bottom of the "host" rock and the top of the live rock it's sitting on. I'd intended to epoxy it down, but the bottom of the "host" rock, and the top of the shelf it's sitting on are pretty smooth. And as of yet, I haven't found an epoxy that acts like a glue - just ones that act as filler that harden to make a certain shape.

When I originally placed it, I placed it to minimize that gap we're looking at. My crabs or snails (don't know who it was) had other ideas though and shifted it a little to where it's at now. Since then, it hasn't been moved at all - and that's been about 5 weeks now. The way it's sitting, it's not going to topple off it's perch - but it could move a bit. (I'll get a top view picture of it tonight when I get home.) Any thoughts out there?

Epoxying it to the piece of LR will prevent it from being jostled or knocked over. IME/IMO corals really do best when they are secure. It really does make a difference w/ time. Also if it gets knocked tissue side down in the sand, the tissue could start to necrose in only a few hours if not noticed. FWIW Kurt I've have good results w/ epoxy by using a generous amount, and placing it on the piece of rock first, then squishing, twisting the frag into the epoxy. Holding it stable for 10-20 seconds, or more if necessary, helps as well. I also let the epoxy set up for a minute or two after mixing, before using it in water.

Here's the top view picture...

DSC04964-1.JPG

I'll have to ponder on ways to possibly secure this guy. When I did my aquascaping, I did have fairly good luck doing what you mentioned MT79. But these two pieces are really smooth on both sides - no nooks and crannies to squish into the epoxy.

That's why I don't have hermits-look at that evil crab just trying to knock it off right in front of you lol! j/k Good looking piece.

:lol: Yeah... there's actually TWO there! They're not too thrilled that I took their shelf away with a coral - but they actually do leave it alone. (There was always at least one hanging out on it.) To be honest... I wouldn't be upset if one day all my crabs disappeared. I'd do that purchase over again if I could. However, since I have zero nitrates I'm not going to change a thing at this point!

Just thought I'd update this thread in case others have the same question and wonder about "the ending" to the story! The coral is bridging the gap just fine. Here a picture from last week:

DSC05263-1.JPG

If you look at the "hole" in the rock just about the clownfish in my previous picture of March 30th, and compare it to the hole in the latest picture, you can get an idea of how much its grown. I'm really impressed with how fast it's growing, and it's actually encrusting the base rock in about 4 separate places now. I'd guess that in 6 months, there won't be any gap left between the base rock and the coral.

(I'll get a top view picture of it tonight when I get home.) Any thoughts out there?
That Coral is cool looking I like it. If its not too much trouble could you take a full tank shot and post it. I am curious to see how your 46g is coming along so I could get some ideas for my 46g project. :D :-D

Back
Top Bottom