Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mega-flow overflow and Microbubbles

Hello everyone,

My new set up consists of:
110 gallon high
Mega-flow overflow
29 gallon fuge
Surge 6000(similar to rio 3100 or 3500)
60lbs of base rock
60lbls of live agronite sand

Problem is that i seem to be getting these microbubbles blown back into the tank. I placed some floss on top of the bio balls to help prevent a splash effect. But that still didnt work. Then I placed a floss across the top chamber of the return in the fuge as well. Still didnt work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Old 07-11-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Are you seeing the micro bubbles in the fuge/sump or just in the main tank? Do you have a valve between the pump and the tank? If so, is it completely open? Do you have any baffles in the sump?

Old 07-11-2004, 07:51 PM   #3

I see micro bubbles in the tank and the fuge.

I do not have any valves but the pump that goes up to the tank is completly open. As far as baffles the fuge has three chambers. 1) where the bioballs are and the water falls ontop of a floss or filter type media and has holes drilled in the seperation wall 2) where the algae and mud is with a solid wall 3) the pump returning into the tank.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would suspect your pump needs to be burped. Turn it off and turn it ever-which-way to make sure there are no air pockets trapped in it. If you have some sort of pre-filter on the pump it could be clogged or restricting the suction. Finally you could raise the water level in your sump, if it is the return from your tank causing the bubbles.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:03 AM   #5

I raised the level and burped the pump. Smaller bubbles now. Getting better , any other advice?
Old 07-12-2004, 04:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Check your return line from the pump. If the hose connections to the bulkhead is not tight, you can be pulling in air.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:57 AM   #7

Actually I found the problem. Its the line from the bulk head to the sump/fuge. It seems like its comming down at a fast rate thus causing these bubbles. Any suggestions? I was thinking of putting a pvc T on it with endcaps with small holes in it to maybe slow it down some?
Old 07-13-2004, 11:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is the return line from the bulkhead to the sump/fuge an open ended piece of flexible tubing? If so, you can try a "filter sock" on the end of the hose. This helps reduce the microbubbles somewhat.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you mean from the bottom of the tank to the sump, I have the flex pipe and put a loop in it. This stopped the "rush/gurgle/bubble" syndrome. Now it comes out in a solid stream like a water hose or such. Greatly reduced the noise.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:57 PM   #10

The loop worked! But still have some in the tank. How long would you estimate before they are gone? Thanks

Tags
bubble, bubbles, flow, microbubbles, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com