Metal halide lamps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
what is the diffefence between aquarium lamps and standard MH lamps, Is it only the Kelvin rating?, because aquarium lamps range from 6'500K to 50'000K, I'm sure you could find a standard lamp between these, TIA :)

MH lamps tend to come in higher wattages and offer more lumens (a measure of light) per watt (a measure of electricity used) than standard aquarium fixtures. You could also consider Power Compact or T5 lighting if you want to increase your light without the excessive heat that MH fixtures put off.

I understand that, I meant the difference between standard metal halide lamps and the ones made for aquarium use. is the lumen rating different? the wattage ratings are the same and the K rating varies from 3000K to 50000K, the price of standard lamps is about £20 and aquarium ones are about £70, i'm just wondering why there is such a big price difference and why the ones made for aquarium use are so different?.

:?

Oh, sorry.

I'm guessing there's not much diffrence in bulbs. Here in the states there are all sorts of equivilant products that cost more in the aquarium shop than the hardware store.

I'd guess the fixtures rated for aquarium use are more waterproof than the standard ones, but any electrically compatible daylight bulb should do for your daylight spectrum.

The major difference is kelvin degrees. Regular MH bulbs are usually in the 4000K range while aquarium bulbs range from about 6500K to 20000K. Lumen output varies with K ratings and bulb manufacturers. You do not want to use anything less than a 6500K over an aquarium.
I hope this is what you were asking :)

oh yes, after looking around I cant find any over 4100K, the lowest rated aquarium one I can find is 5200K, what would be so bad about using one rated so low apart from the orange colour, would it cause excessive algae growth?

As recent as the 90's K values were in the low 5000's for the latest and greatest MH bulbs ;)

Well, according to my old copys of FAMA.

I would stay with higer K values for softies and the like (but this doesnt hold completly true)

The absolute best growth seems to be recorded with 6500K (dusk sunlight K)
and 5500ish would be daylight..

I would want lower K for SPS only tanks personaly.
everything I was told was that its a personal preferance, you can suplement with some type of floresent 03 and get the highest K you can find in your case for the MH.

btw.. I have no clue why your having trouble finding stuff in the UK alot of the best brand bulbs are made in EU conrtries 8O
Do you not have any online shops over there???

I have no clue why your having trouble finding stuff in the UK alot of the best brand bulbs are made in EU conrtries
Do you not have any online shops over there???

Finding aquarium bulbs is not a problem at all and yes I could order online! I was just wondering what the extra £50 you pay for with an aquarium bulb was for (I suppose its just another way they've found to rip you off).

I think I will go with either a 10000 or 14000k aquarium bulb to be on the safe side anyway...

how blue would a 50000K Halide bulb be?

As recent as the 90's K values were in the low 5000's for the latest and greatest MH bulbs
I started up my reef tank in the late 80's and the hot bulb was a Coralife 5000K. It was definitely on the yellow side and had to be supplemented with heavy actinic 03. Coralife then came out with a 6500K bulb which color wise was a vast visual improvement.

how blue would a 50000K Halide bulb be?
I have never seen a 50000K bulb and have no idea what it would look like. I currently run 2 XM 15000K bulbs and they are pleny blue enough for me.
I have seen 20000K bulbs, and while it's probably more user preference than anything else, I personally think they are way too blue.

Back
Top Bottom