Plant Weights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iloveplants

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! :)
I have a question to which I have not been able to find online yet, but I'm sure I'm simply not looking up for the right things.

I am trying to find plant weights for my banana plant (not the same one I have talked about in another thread) that can't stop floating to the top of the aquarium the second it grows a third leaf. So, after getting sick of cutting the "old" leaves in hopes of it growing roots someday and anchoring itself in my gravel, I finally learned about the existence of plant weights and decided it would probably be better if I wasn't stunting my plant's growth constantly. However, I don't necessarily feel great about putting lead, or any metal for that matter, in my tank. No matter how safe it is I just can't relax if something's in my tank that could be toxic.

I thought it might be ok to put in metal weight anyway since there's only plants in there, but I'll eventually have fish in there and I know exactly how fragile shrimp / fish are and I just don't want to risk it or waste my money on dead fish.

TLDR; any suggestions on plant weights that have no metal / lead in them I can use for my banana plant that keeps floating to the top?

I use lead plant weights. Is your water acidic?

Im not sure on banana plants as ive never kept them, but are they like java fern or anubias that can be tied or glued to a piece of driftwood or rock?

I have 7pH as of last week or so,
Banana plants are really weird (in an awesome way obviously) so I COULD glue the tubers to the gravel? I think it would be too hard to get it to glue to wood and/or not the right thing for banana plants?

Is there any way for me to promote root growth? I saw tiny little roots grow but they stopped once the banana plant started floating and haven't grown since.

In that case lead does nothing to the fish and plants? Does lead just hurt humans then?

Thanks again for the help!

Ive got some professional experience with lead ground contamination. Learnt more about the potential for lead poisoning on 1 project than i ever planned on.

Lead is very inert, especiallly when the surface layer has oxidised. Which is why is so useful. However lead is harmful to humans if ingested or dust/ fumes are inhaled. How harmful depends on how much lead. The levels of lead contamination on the project i mention would have required you to eat a bucket full of contaminated soil every day for 30 years before the lead would have built up in the body to toxic levels, but the site manager still had grounds maintenance wearing hazmat suits to cut the grass. Bit of an over reaction IMO.

My wife is responsible for planning replacement lead pipework for plastic for our water company. In part because as it gets old and degenerates, lead can contaminate the water supply and cause health issues in people. But, those pipes have been there decades and not caused noticable health issues (so far).

Lead isnt going to disolve in water very much, but more will do so if your water is acidic. Its more of a threat to health when it starts to degrade and break up over time, and then bits of lead can find its way into the ground, waterways and atmosphere where it can be injested or inhaled.

Personally, if you are concerned, dont use lead weights. You need peace of mind. I would say plants wont be affected, fish arent likely to be, shrimp are more likely to be.

Ive just been reading about banana plants and everything ive read says tie or glue to a piece of rock or driftwood, and it will eventually root into the substrate.

Last edited:
I have never planted or anchored Banana lilies to anything. I just let them float around growing new leaves. It's fine for them to do that.

Most plant anchors/ weights sold in the US are now aluminium. There might still be some lead ones but the US government has been trying to remove lead from items because it causes health issues to children. Just check the packaging and if it says lead free, you're fine.

Even with lead weights, the fish are fine. I used lead fishing sinkers and plant weights in tanks for decades and never had an issue. I used old lead weights that were a dull grey in colour. This meant they had a lead oxide coating over them and that significantly reduces any lead poisoning. If the lead is shiny silver, then it doesn't have a lead oxide coating and is more likely to cause poisoning. If you do regular water changes, the amount of lead in the water will be at such a low level it will be un-measurable.

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I appreciate it so much!
Yeah, in that case I'll definitely be a lot more reassured about using lead, thank you!
Good to know! In that case I'll simply do that and glue it since I already have some,
cheaper option ;)
Have a good one!

Thank you so much!
I'll definitely look out for the different colors! Thanks for the advice!

I had no idea! I would've guessed they'd want/need to be in the substrate to fully settle in but maybe letting it do Its thing is better. I'll keep you all updated on how it goes! Thanks once more :))

Back
Top Bottom