Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2006, 10:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most hard corals are not hard to keep at all. The majority of large polyp stony corals are hardy and easy to maintain given the proper husbandry. Small polyp stony corals ingeneral require more intense light and are bit harder to keep. If you have success with your brain coral in your nano then you know what we mean. They are relatively hardy and easy to keep. Most LPS do very well under CF or VHO lighting.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will sure take your advices on the hard coral Lando and will sure ask A LOTs of question when I am ready for them may be 1 or 2 years down the track. Thanks. Now I will focus on my FOWLR first may be throw in some softies when the tank is 6 months old. I am getting the tank today man can't wait. How long normally will it take for this tank to fully cycled? My 20g high nano only cycled in 3 weeks previously does this apply to the 6 foot size tank?

I will fill up water the first day then 2 or 3 days later some sands and liverocks (aquascaping) will follow then let them cycled. In the mean time getting all the stuffs and gears. I will not use any skimmer or filter during the cycle. Just let the rocks and sands sit in the tank with lots of waterflows. Am getting a wavemaker for the waterflows may be a Tunze wavebox is in order. If I get a wavemaker do I still need any powerhead?

I will keep the sand bed at around 2 inches thick and lots and lots of rocks.

Lando do I need to switch on the light when cycling? Am I doing the right thing or is there any other issue that I need to look out for?

Old 08-23-2006, 11:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I will sure take your advices on the hard coral Lando and will sure ask A LOTs of question when I am ready for them
Like I said, you already have them (brain coral). No need to wait that long to keep LPS corals. They are just as easy to keep as softies. Once your tank is running and stable for a couple months you can start adding corals.
Quote:
Lando do I need to switch on the light when cycling?
Not all the time. You can have the tank lighted for a few hours a days. THe light cycle will not really affect the cycle.

Tags
fluorescent, halide, metal, metal halide

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com