Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

MH bulb burst while on 3 day vacation

I just got back after being away on vacation from Wednesday to Saturday. My wife performed a top-off for me on Friday. She didn't feed the fish but they were fine. They were all okay and at well today when I fed them. The tank was a little dirty though moreso than normal. I don't understand because the only thing I would have done during the three days was clean the glass. The one big problem was a MH bulb which burst. Luckily only a few glass fragments fell into the tank and most of it remained intack. I was able to unscrew the remaining piece and remove. Other than that all else seems to be fine.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

thats strange i had the same thing happen to me with a coral vue bulb, it just shattered for no reason at all.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
IME if water get on a hot bulb it's going to explode. Also the chemicals in the bulb could be hazardous to fish and family. Maybe you need a shield between the light and the water.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I had to guess it was probably water though no way to tell now. Funny as nothing has changed over the last 5 months.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
If you don't have a shield between the water and bulb I'd get one ASAP. All it takes is one overactive fish to splash water on the bulb. Plus you should have a UV shield to protect your stock anyways.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

UV shields are only needed on double ended bulbs. SE bulbs have it built in the glass. You just have to be careful, IMO. Plus things happen. I never had one bust in the 4 years I have been using them ...
Old 07-22-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just read another thread where the same thing happened to someone else. They said they read that the bulb can shatter when the power comes back on after an outage. My wife said we did have an outage on Friday so I wonder.

Tags
bulb, vacation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com