Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2005, 12:05 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Very true but if you keep your tank initially warmer it will usually just warm the water up that much more. What kind of canopy or light system do you have? Maybe you might be able to raise the lights a little more off the tank.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam
The heater will not add heat if the temp is already there. It will just keep it from dropping so much.
That is what I thought too. Since putting my heaters on timers (heaters go off when the lights are on) I've dropped my tank temp 5 degrees. I was hitting 89 when I first got MH even w/ fans. Then I put the heaters on timers after trying many things-Viola! the tank now stays at 83-84 during the day and 81 at night.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
i got some little clip on fans from HD for 4.99 just to see if fans will do the trick before goin to get the nicer fans for $15-20 and it did
thats my suggestion....I had my temp up to 86 being in fla and 2 fans brought it down to 79-80
Old 06-02-2005, 12:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok the heater is at 75 b/c I am keeping eye on temp to drop. I notice today it has reached 84 very bad I know I want to buy fans. Remember I do not have my canopy on it yet. What fans should I purchase to help me out ASAP also can I eventuallu use them for the canopy when I eventually put it on? Thanks alot.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:58 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Go to walmart and buy them 5" fans that they have they are only like $5...That way you can use them for the canopy too. HTH
Old 06-02-2005, 01:58 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I can't find 5" fans anywhere do u mean the fans for Computers? I need it to fit somehow since my canopy isn't up yet So I got to think how to set this up.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:03 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No they are 5" plastic little portable fans. The have a plastic base and the whole thing is plastic except the motor. they should only cost like 5-10 dollars for one. Then once you get the canopy made you take the front protective plastic off away from the fan and screw it into your canopy. HTH
Old 06-02-2005, 10:10 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
like i said...go to home depot and they have small 5 " fans that comes with a base or a clip....i use the clip
Old 06-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Temp swings are what you want to avoid. Having the temp stable at 83 isn't going to kill. But having the temp swing from 75 to 83 is going to be bad news for your livestock.

My tank boils pretty fast in the summer if I don't have fans and will reach to 87 degrees. My tanks lights-on temp is around 83, lights-off temp is 81.5.

Fans help out a lot.

klam is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com