MH they have arrived and now with less layers higher temp??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Aqualight Advanced 20,000K MH have arrived and now since the acclimating is almost over with 3 layers left I noticed my temp at 80-82. I have the temp down to 76 degrees. So heat is coming from lights only. What else can I do Thanks?

Well you could invest into a chiller...but the $$ is ouch. 8O I keep my tank running about 80-82 with my lights on. The average reef in the ocean is around 83 so not to much to be concerned with.

I would not want to see a 76 to 82 swing though. Do you have any fans? I have one fan that come on/off with the halides. You could also put a fan on the sump. 76 to a bit cold to me though. My morning temp is 80-81 and right now it is 82.5.

well i made heater go to 77 so maybe it can keep temp at 78 but no fluctuation is at 78-80 when lights off and 82 when lights on just wanted to know best temp to keep heater to keep temp at 82 tops. thanks

82 is not a bad temp for the tanks so i wouldnt be too concerned about it. I didnt notice that your tank temp was at 76 thats a big difference. Do you have a thermometer in the tank or are you going but the heater? I run my tank at 80-82 all the time and everything seems to do great. HTH

I keep my heater on 79 and noticed with the MH it was reaching 82 I was getting concerned. I will keep it at 79

I am under the understanding that a big swing in temp is bad. If 76 (or 77) is your low (heater setting) and you are getting 80 - 82 with lights on, you have the potential for a 5 degree difference.

I would raise the heater to 79 or 80. The heater will not add heat if the temp is already there. It will just keep it from dropping so much.

Very true but if you keep your tank initially warmer it will usually just warm the water up that much more. What kind of canopy or light system do you have? Maybe you might be able to raise the lights a little more off the tank.

Kam said:
The heater will not add heat if the temp is already there. It will just keep it from dropping so much.
That is what I thought too. Since putting my heaters on timers (heaters go off when the lights are on) I've dropped my tank temp 5 degrees. I was hitting 89 when I first got MH even w/ fans. Then I put the heaters on timers after trying many things-Viola! the tank now stays at 83-84 during the day and 81 at night.

i got some little clip on fans from HD for 4.99 just to see if fans will do the trick before goin to get the nicer fans for $15-20 and it did
thats my suggestion....I had my temp up to 86 being in fla and 2 fans brought it down to 79-80 :)

Ok the heater is at 75 b/c I am keeping eye on temp to drop. I notice today it has reached 84 very bad I know I want to buy fans. Remember I do not have my canopy on it yet. What fans should I purchase to help me out ASAP also can I eventuallu use them for the canopy when I eventually put it on? Thanks alot.

Go to walmart and buy them 5" fans that they have they are only like $5...That way you can use them for the canopy too. HTH

I can't find 5" fans anywhere do u mean the fans for Computers? I need it to fit somehow since my canopy isn't up yet So I got to think how to set this up.

No they are 5" plastic little portable fans. The have a plastic base and the whole thing is plastic except the motor. they should only cost like 5-10 dollars for one. Then once you get the canopy made you take the front protective plastic off away from the fan and screw it into your canopy. HTH

Temp swings are what you want to avoid. Having the temp stable at 83 isn't going to kill. But having the temp swing from 75 to 83 is going to be bad news for your livestock.

My tank boils pretty fast in the summer if I don't have fans and will reach to 87 degrees. My tanks lights-on temp is around 83, lights-off temp is 81.5.

Fans help out a lot.

Back
Top Bottom