Monti question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a monti and after some time the one side puts out a slime time string that webs out. I was wondering if you have seen anything do this. It gets thick sometimes and others its only merely stringing a little bit. What are your thoughts ill post a pic in a few.

Does it suck it back in at times, or when the lights come on, or go off? Or is it always floating in the water?

18608-albums490-picture4958.jpg

This is a pic of it on the left side. I am getting good growth out of it in all directions and even on this side. It doesnt seem to suck back in also I pulled it out/off once and it comes right back with in a few hours. It is almost like what my chalice did once when it was trying to get sand off of it that the tang scooped onto it. The white area in the front is now all grown over and is growing out now. The slime seems to come from this single spot at all times and it waves in the flow. Right now it is extended out about 2 inches past where it is now.

Hmm, seems kind of weird. My nassa snails produced large amounts of slime that stuck to my rocks and looked exactly like this lol. Was so pissed. But to be honest, i'm not really sure what that is. You think it's maybe a way for the coral to collect food?

I dont know about the food thing. I know ive had to move other corals away from it because they close up upon the touch of this slime. I have seen slime before yet I have never seen it last as long as this does. It is there all day...I will have to look tonight and see what it does.

Yeah, good idea. I've never seen this. Didn't even know that coral could produce slime or whatever.

Actually, i just did some reading up and your monti may have STN. STN is slow tissue necrosis. Its when stony coral lose tissue slowly and it says that when STN occurs and tissue is slowly being destroyed, slime will be produced by the monticap.. There's no solution or cure, but people have had some success by fragging off the parts that have slime on them, and are being eaten away. But they say that even then, it may not stop STN from happening to the rest of the monti.

:/

I think that when SPS corals get tissue necrosis you will see a layer of tissue that is peeling off the coral. It will look like skin and a very white skeleton underneath.

All SPS can produce slime like that. They use it for a variety of reasons. They use it to clean their tissue of things that have collected on it or i believe bacteria and things of that nature as well. Could also be from stress or if something is stinging it. Put a little more flow towards it and it will probably help to keep it clean and take the slime away.

lps do the same thing. They slime when stressed/covered in something. If sand gets on anything in my tank or if I brush against something working in the tank, they slime.

Your monti just looks like it's just sliming. I wouldn't worry too much.

Back
Top Bottom