Montipora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Triggersgalore

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two 36" 6 bulb t5 lights on my 8 foot tank would I be able to support montipora?

The only issue is with both lights it only covers 72" of the tank so 2 feet won't be covered. However I think under the lights monti caps and digitata should do fine.

I had my superman Monti 11" below under a 4bulb T5, great growth and color... Same with orange and purple monti caps at about 6", 11" and 14"... All grow fine and have same color but of course the 6" from top grew the fastest but not much of a difference

You'll be fine with a 6 bulb fixture. They really don't need as much light as other light demanding corals like acros. Even in the fringes that aren't covered, you may be ok.

You should just fine with 2 x 6bulb fixtures. When was your last bulb change, or are the fixtures newer?
Montis are definitely the easiest SPS to get your feet wet.... the Forest Fire & German Blue digitatas are among my favorites, and are pretty quick growers once they acclimate. Start them at the bottom of the tank for light acclimation, then slowly move them up to where you want them. If you've never had SPS, they do need fairly strong indirect flow to keep their small polyps clear of debris/detritus..... they get irritated pretty easily if anything is allowed to accumulate on them. They benefit from the occasional gentle turkey baster blowing as well.....

Last edited:
The fixtures are literally brand new. And I have pretty strong flow in my tank. How Long should I acclimate them?

Back
Top Bottom