Moorish Idol+ diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aarref

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i broght a moorish idol this week its making good with my tankmates which are hippo tang, tomatoe clownfish, 3 damsels, 4 butterflys, 3 angels, dragonet. and i have to bring an empiorior angelfish. What exactly i have to feed the MI apart from her normal diet which is coped octopus and algae from live rock? how do i feed her sponges?

Even though it's not a recomended fish, I bought one about 2 1/2 months ago. (ignorance)

Mine has been doing great. I feed it a variety of foods. It loves it all. Heres the list.

Marine Flakes
Herbivore Pellets
Nori
Frozen Brine
Live Brine
Spirulina Flakes
My own brand of Mush! (garlic, suppliments,veggies, white fish, clams, shrimp, ect..)

What size tank do you have? How long have you had the idol? Do you have a pic?
Here is a pic of my little buddy in qt.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=6668

i broght it yesterday the tank is 275 gals 5 ft long sry i dnt have a picture, yours is nice! iox for the list, mine isnt an adult it is about 10cm tall.

soory

sory they arent 275 gal but 275 liters parden me!!!!

Boy, that is very small for all of those fish. The moorish idol is a fish that does not do well in captivity. They require huge tanks (well over 300 gal.) wiith lots of open swimming room. As far as the feeding goes, variety is the key. Find something it likes and make sure it keeps eating. I do not mean to dishearten you, but ther is a good chance the idol will not make it too long.

So this is around 72 gallons. I would really look into some different fish. I don't think you would be sucessful with those larger fish (angels, and butterflys and Idol). Id hate for you to lose them. :|

Too late, the fish is already purchased, so let's help out where we can, with the question that was originally asked. I have also heard of worse than a moorish idol in a 72g tank. :wink:

but i wownt bring more fish wouldn`t be enogh, if not which fish do you advice me to remove?

i have coral beauty, bicalor and the other one i dont know exactly the name it has a black colour with a big with spot int the middel and the pelvic and anal fin are yellow

the coral beauty stays small for the most part !! the bi-color can get big id prob sell him if ya can !! the other sounds like a ashfur i think that the spelling !! if so they get big as well !!

if i sell does 2 would i be set right? and another thing is that the moorish Idol is doing well is eating!!

also i wouldnt get the emperal angel as well !! as for the the idol they dont live long in captivity anyway !! but ya can try everything in your power to keep him alive i wish ya the best !! but if ya got rid of the 3 big angels ya be on the safer side for sure :)

thanks very muck but i have 2 get rid 0f 2 angels the bicolour and the keyhole pgymy angel the emperal isn`t in my tank and i am not go ing to bring it!!! can i change the topic! how much coral and anemones can i introduce in the tank? i have a yellow leather coral, a fiji coral, purpel tip anemone carpet anemone and another anemone (haven`tname yet) can i brig more? 10x

wow you have a tank there !! can ya post a pic of it please !! like to see it :) ya need to be carefull with all those anemones and coral mix along with most angels will eat them !!

waith a bit pls im taking the picture! becous im out of batries!

sory for the time taken

sory i took the photos but the minimun size is 11oKB thus i cant send them but i will retry later i am 18 years old!

I actually can't wait to see the pic. The bad news, if I may be honest, is that I do not think you have researched well and planned things out. The good news is that you came to the right site to find help. In order to give you good advice we need more info on your tank. Type of lighting, filtration, anount of LR, substrate, age of tank, current livestock, and all water parameters. Everyone here is dedicated to helping you succeed, but we need all of the info you can provide. Thanks! Lando

Back
Top Bottom