Fire Eel died - help me figure out why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XimeD

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sadly, my fire eel (Kraken) died yesterday :bawl: and I want to try and make some sense of what happened because eventually I would like to keep another fire eel.

My Tank:
75 gal acrylic dimensions 48"Lx15"Wx24"H
Filter: Rena filstar XP3
Heater: Aqueon 300W - I keep my tank at 80F
Substrate: pool filter sand
Decor: large piece of driftwood, slate rocks, fake plants and some real plants (anubias and java fern) and an air pump (rena air 400) with 2 lines going in the tank.
Tank has been set-up a little under 2 years but I recently (2 months ago)moved apartments.
PWC schedule: 30 to 50% every other week and "full cleanup" (meaning I take the drifwood and some of the fake plants out to do a good vacuum, scrape the algae out and stir the sand) once a month or so. I clean the filter as needed but never at the same time as a "full cleanup" and by clean the filter I mean, clean the impeller, squeeze the crud out of the sponges that do the mechanical filtering and leave the ceramic pieces that house most of the bio filter alone - I soak those on old tank water while I clean the rest of the filter)
Fish:
- 2 red tail tinfoil barbs
- 1 giant danio
- 2 tiger barbs
- 2 spotted leaf fish (leopard ctenopoma)
- 2 bristlenose plecos (1 albino and 1 regular)
- 1 raphael catfish
- 3 peacock eels
- "1 fire eel about 15inch" (no longer there:nono: )
I know I am overstocked and that my set-up is non ideal. Tinfoil barbs are too big for my tank and should be kept in a school of 5, danio and tiger barbs should have bigger schools too. Also, the tank is bottom dweller heavy. So yes it is non-ideal. How I ended up with those fish is kinda a long story but in some ways the same old story, in short I listened to the advice of the people from the petstore when I first started with the hobby (3 years ago) and well...you know the rest.

On to the eel........
This was definitely my favorite fish of all, it had a PVC pipe inside a slate rock "cave" and would come out and greet me anytime I was close to the tank. It's diet consisted of raw shrimp (hand-fed) and california blackworms, occasionally ghost shrimp. I have had Kraken for a little under 2 years.
Last saturday night everything was normal, I fed Kraken like I usually do (I feed every other day). Sunday night I notice some discoloration on its belly and to one side - the dark brown color was turning brown with some beige (I am posting a pic but it's hard to tell because I dont have a recent pic to compare to). Also it was swimming around, but it seemed more lethargic than usual and it wouldnt take food offered (which is pretty rare for "her", I think I had a female but it is hard to tell with fire eels)

I immediately tested the water and it was:
Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 30ppm, pH 7.6, temp 80F
Nitrates were a little high because I was a little over my 2 weeks (2.5 weeks).

A little tank history: I had Ick about a month and a half ago and lost some tiger barbs, some of them during a PWC, so I was hesitant on doing a PWC at that time (I now wish I had). Back then I treated the Ick with Kordon Ick attach and pimafix/melafix combo as a preventive measure. I thought that the discoloration was a fungal infection (I know spiny eels are prone to these if they get scraped) so I treated the tank with pimafix/melafix (this was midnight) and decided to wait until the following morning and see how it responded to the meds to do the PWC. 7am next morning....dead eel.

The night before the eel was the only one showing any symptoms but in the morning all the other fish were showing signs of lack of oxygen (gasping at the surface, gulping air) so I do an immediate water change (I did 2 consecutive 50% PWCs) and luckily all the other fish recovered (including one of the tinfoil barb which was upside down gasping at the surface, I thought that one was a goner for sure).

Anyhow, here are my questions:
1) I read that fire eels are pretty tolerant to lack of oxygen and that tinfoil barbs are very sensitive to it, so if hypoxia was what caused everything why was the eel the only one showing symptoms?
2) Is it possible that something else killed the eel and that the decomposing body of the eel caused the oxygen crash overnight? I don't know that it would decompose that fast but it was a fairly big eel
3) My new rule: PWC whenever I notice anything amiss with the fish. Any reason that you can think of not to do this?
4) Any thoughts on what happened?
5) From now on, I will be making weekly 25-35% PWCs and I am starting a new thread for advice on making some changes to stocking in my tank. Any other advice besides that on how to prevent this from happening again?

A final comment: I know I am overstocked, but I have a pretty good filter and on a day to day basis the tank is fine (no ammonia or nitrites). However. I do think that whatever went wrong was compounded by the overstocking. meaning that my stocking level gives me a lot less "reaction time". That is why I am planning on making some changes and I will not even think about getting abother fire eel until I do so.

Thanks for helping!

-Ximena

Attachments

• IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 352
I am really about your eel.
I don't remember off the top of my head, what are the main ingredients in Ich Attack? This is just an initial guess, but I know that eels can be sensitive to meds. Was there any sign of bloating? It still could have been an infection of some sort that came on rapidly.
When you were treating the tank, did you raise the temperature?

Thank for the condolences - im pretty sad about it.

No signs of bloating that I could tell, even postmortem. She was pretty "fat" though that's why I think it was a female since then tend to be fuller bodied.

The ick attack is herbal here is the ingredient list from the website:

Kordon Ich-Attack contains 5% active ingredients consisting of five natural organic herbals, based on their containing patented naphthoquinones. Totally free of chemicals (such as formalin and malachite) and all heavy metals, including zinc and copper.

I hear it is safe to use against scaleless fish, and I had ick on that same tank a long time ago and used it with the fire eel in there and no problem so I don't think it was the ick attack. Spiny eels are sensitive to salt content so that is why I did not use the salt/raise temp method. So no, I didn't raise the temp.

I am keeping a close eye on my tank right now and dosing with pimafix/melafix against any opportunistic infections, the temp is currently at 80F do you think I should raise it? to say 86F

Ok, I was thinking that Ich Attack was the one that is supposed to be better for scaleless fish, but I couldn't remember. Despite the fact that it is herbal, that with the melafix and pimafix may have given the eel a reaction. That is one guess. It has been known to happen even with just pimafix and scaleless fish sometimes.
If you didn't raise the temp before, don't bother now that the ich has been treated. I was just asking because higher temps don't hold oxygen as well and can result in fish gasping. But, that's not a concern if you didn't raise the temp.
Another possibility is that the eel had ich in his gills or something that you couldn't see and he wasn't able to fight it fast enough. Or, he could have just had an unrelated issue simultaneous to the ich that causes the discoloration, like a fungal infection of a problem with his organs. I do know that the spiny eels are susceptible to kindey failure, but that is usually accompanied by a bloated appearance, so that is not likely the case.
My best guesses are hidden ich, odd reaction to meds, or random different issue like fungus or infection.
Sorry that I don't know for sure. These things can be really hard to figure out. I know I always get upset when I lose a fish, especially when I don't know the cause.

Back
Top Bottom