Move plenum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TwtyBrd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! We will be moving our tank soon and I was wondering if anyone has moved a plenum or if we should ditch it and use southdown and a DSB when we set it back up. Its about a 8 or 9 hour drive and I am thinking of renting a trailer to haul the tank in, does the temperature of LR matter when its kept wet and do I need to airate it? fish and corals will ride in the car with us and be airated with a battery bubbler. Also how long can RO water sit in a tub with circulation? a few weeks hurt anything? I appreciate any help I can get with this and links as well :)

IMO, ditch the plenum and go with a DSB.

temp only matters if it goes to extreemes. If you use a cooler or rubbermaid container stuffed with newspapers or other insulation you should be ok. you don't have to keep the LR submerged, but the wetter the better. perhaps once or twice during your drive pull over and splash some water over the rocks. you don't "have" to do it, but i think it would help to minimize any die-off (which is what will cause a new cycle when you set your tank back up)

RO water should be fine in a container for a few weeks as long as you can keep contaminants out of it (just use a lid) and a bubbler, again, not necessary, but couldn't hurt.

Thanks! That sounds pretty easy, just a bit nerve racking thinking about it. We will be staying in a place temporarily and have to do it again soon after but that will only be a short (hour) move :roll:

ick, two moves in a row! 8O

there is an article in our Articles Section on moving a freshwater tank. Most of the process is the same when moving a SW tank, you just have more "life" to take care of in the move for SW. Hope the article helps!

Back
Top Bottom