Moving an Established Large Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsch21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
This is my first post on this Forum. I recently purchased a 180gl Reef along with a 50gal refugium and 60 gal sump. It has a DSB and approx 270lbs LR. The Livestock include 16 fish and 18 inverts. The tank has been established around 2 years. I don't expect the system to be down more than 6 hrs. The concern I have is killing the denitrifying bacteria in the DSB when moving. I plan on reusing about 80% of the original water. Can the fish go right back in? Are there any other concerns?

I saw the other posting for the FOWLR but just wanted to know if anything would be different for a reef?
Thanks

I used 5 gal buckets , put everything in those switched tanks . did a 40%water change . added the sand waited 2hours added the base rock waited another 2 hours . added the old water ,let every thing settle down maybe 3 or 4 hours . then put in the fish shrimp est. Didnt loose anything. Good luck

Your only alternitive when moving the tank is to scoop out the sand bed as a 180 will be heavy enough before you factor in the couple hundred lbs of sand.

If when removing the sand you find pockets of dark and smelly sandbed then discard that sand as it has turned anerobic and not a part of a healthy sand bed. While taking the sand bed apart there will be some smell it wont be knock you on the floor kind of smell like a bad sand bed would be.

Reference an article we have in our articles area on moving a FW tank. The princples are the same for the reef enviorment. The biggest thing is to have enough help and enough buckets/tubs to store the rock, sand, critters and as much water as you can.

Thanks for the advice. I hired a Aquarium Service to do the moving and they know the details about the system. I'm just getting nervous and don't want anything to go wrong.
Thanks again for the responses!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom