Moving Mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillyZ

Aquarium Advice Addict
My mushrooms are reproducing like rabits! Since I bought the small piece of LR with them about a month or two ago I now have probably close to a dozen new mushrooms. I'm not complaining, honest. But they're all in that same little spot. Some of the bigger original ones have started to slide off the rock and onto the substrate, moving on their own so those I can probably pick up gently and re-locate... but the majority of them are still planted firmly on the small rock that I got from the LFS. (at least I imagine they are I haven't actualy tried moving them yet, i don't want to injure them)

Are there any good ways i could move a couple of the mushrooms without damaging them? I would like to take 4 or 5 from the rock they're on and move them to another rock on the other side of the tank, just to balance out the tank a little...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

My mushrooms are reproducing like rabits!

8O YIPPIE!

Take a razorblade and gently slice them off as close to the rock as you can and then lossly hold them to the new rock for about a week or so with some wedding veil. The only downside is that ofen the residue of mushroom left on the inital rock will grow into a new one.

I even had a mushroom that got moved by strong current and 2 new ones grew where the first had been. They look neat but after awhile they become like weeds. I'm hoping I can start trading them in at the LFS and fund some new corals.

How do you care for the mushrooms? I just got some and do not know what to do especially for them.

They don't really require any specific care. As long as water parameters are within acceptable standards, they will typically grow very well. Sometimes too well. They are actually pretty tolerant of water conditions.

Pretty much as logan stated, I don't do anything specifically for them. I try and keep the water parameters good, feed my fish (some leftover stuff gets to them i'm sure) and I also add some PhytoPlankton for the many sponges, feather dusters etc and I would also assume the mushrooms gain some benifit of the phytoplankton... and be sure you have decent lighting. Mushrooms don't take much, but you will need more than NO.

Back
Top Bottom