moving my 45 gallon to my new 75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarrett

Aquarium Advice Freak
So a couple questions guys i am really looking to do this all at once so its less stressful on my fish. this was my game plan the tank is all hooked up and ready to go i am going to fill it with water from my RO unit and was thinking of getting more RO from the supermarket because it will take me forever to make 75 gallons of RO water i will also put some of the water from the 45 but i really don't want to put all of it. i figured this was ok because the bacteria is really only present on the rock and sand. I want to put all the rock in the tank first that way the bacteria doesn't die. then i am going to put new sand in the new tank but i will take 4 or 5 cups of my old sand to seed the new sand bed. and then acclimate my fish. you think by doing all this in that order i will avoid any problems. if you guys see any flaws in my plan please feel free to inform me i want this to go as smoothly as possible thanks alot guys. (sorry for the long post) i also only have 4 fish so as far as spikes go you think i should be ok since its such a little bio load for a 75 gallon tank.

Hi sounds ok,although in my opinion the more 'old' water you can move the better? Just be like a big major water change. Obviously do not feed the fish the day before changing over and just keep a close eye on the general condition of the tank.

When i moved from my 90 gallon to my 150 gallon i used all the water from my 90 and filled up the rest with saltwater. I used all new sand in my 150 and threw all my old sand away. I used the rocks from my 90 and just filled the rest of the 150 with cycled rock. The more water you can use from your 45 the better. I would use all the water from ur 45 and use new sand for ur new tank. Almost all the bacteria is in ur rock and wet dry or sump from ur 45

ok i put all new sand in the tank i think i am going to put my old sand in my refugium i will rinse it out tho and then transfer all my water and rock into the new tank sound like a good idea or do you think its pointless to put my old sand in my refugium

I dont really see a need for the old sand but you can put in the refugium if you want to.

well it has good bacteria in it i want to atleast carry over some of it do you guys think i can transfer my rock and fish into this tank tonight when i get it running i also have a cannister filter that i am going to put on the 75 to which has lots of media on it with bacteria

i will only be transfering over 4 fish a hoevens wrasse a mystery wrasse blue spot puffer and a scooter blenny

Jarrett said:
ok i put all new sand in the tank i think i am going to put my old sand in my refugium i will rinse it out tho and then transfer all my water and rock into the new tank sound like a good idea or do you think its pointless to put my old sand in my refugium

Hey can you help me find the best way to move my old 10g to a 75 gallon tank?

Sure it shouldn't be that hard since you only have a 10 gallon just get a big tub put everything in the tub I would toss your old sand and use only RO water to fill the tank up if you have to leave the tub over might with fish you can just put a powerhead and heater in it

Back
Top Bottom