My 29 gallon Oceanic BioCube has a leak.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prinzessin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just got my 29 gallon Oceanic BioCube in the mail and I set it up last night. I also got the oceanic double door stand that goes with it, and the stand in the center in the front seems to dip in a bit, not much but I guess its because this is a bow front? Anyway the tank isnt completely level flat against the stand in the middle and I noticed there is water in the crack, it doesnt seem to be coming out but if I press up on the ledge of the stand against the tank it comes forward and I wipe it away but I cant seem to get all of it. Could this be a leak? Or just water pooled there when I poored it into the tank? It took hours setting it up and everything I really hope this isnt a leak and I wont have to take everything out and then find out if it is a leak or not. Thank you for your advice and opinions.

The only way you'll know for sure, is if you take it apart and search for a crack. If the water stops coming out, it doesn't mean that a crack isn't present.. so if i were you, i would take it apart and search for a crack. Better safe then sorry right?

here is a picture, you cant see the water but its between where the tank meets the stand and its mostly in the middle and a bit to the sides but doesnt reach the corners.

Attachments

• 0328001316[1].jpg
    0328001316[1].jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 322
i'd just break everything down. It's not worth the risk if it is cracked. It's a pain to deal with it now, but its better than the outcome should the tank break.

It took me 6 hours to set it up, I was hopeing to avoid having to take it all down again and risk shock or death to my coral. What are the chances its just water thats gotton in there from pouring water in, because when I poured water in it it ran down on that side, there is no water that I can see on any of the other sides in between the tank and the stand where it dips. I'll take it apart if I have to, I'd just like to know the chances, and if anyones experienced this as well? This is the second tank I'v gotton from Oceanic the 14 gallon had a break in the sealent I believe I put too much water in it and when I was arranging the rock it broke. If there is somthing wrong with this tank than I'm out of tanks.

Like we said, it's a pain, but no one can really know if it is just water that dripped down the sides when you were pouring water in, or if there really is a small leak under the tank. You can always just take your chances and forget about it.. but if it's two days later and there's still water seeping through that same spot.. then obviously there is a leak.

is doing over 6 hours again worth avoiding your tank gushing water in your living room (or where ever it is) and killing your fish and corals while you're not there?

You said you had corals in there! Did you cycle your tank? I think not. Not in 6 hours anyway.

I never said I wouldnt take it apart to find out. It hasnt even been 24 hours, if it doesnt evaporate by tomorrow morning I'll take it apart, I may do it tonight if I can. If there is a leak, does anyone know what it might be? it wasnt cracked when I set it up. I hope its reparable because Oceanic wont send me another tank.

looks like you've learned a good lesson here.. always leak test your tank before you go through the process of setting everything up... saves a lot of time and stress if it does leak, and yes, even new tanks can leak... but, before you lose hope, make sure that you didnt just leak some water in to the trim... i did that once and was convinced that my tank was leaking.. until it didnt leak

You said you had corals in there! Did you cycle your tank? I think not. Not in 6 hours anyway.

Its mushroom disc coral, I used water from my previous tank, my LFS store told me to use the old water and everything.

Good to know. We can only go by the information given to us.
PS:
img_1091884_0_9d250f240c9f2c6aa31924497c7e2a7d.gif

Water dripped from a water change should evaperate pretty swiftly.

I would get some air in a can, and spray it in the crack to lessen the pool and hope that it evaps. From there, if the water comes back, then you know you have a leak.

Water dripped from a water change should evaperate pretty swiftly.

I would get some air in a can, and spray it in the crack to lessen the pool and hope that it evaps. From there, if the water comes back, then you know you have a leak.

Could I use a hair dryer?

If it has a no heat feature.

Blowing hot air on coodd glass is ask for a crack

I tryed it for a few minutes with a hair dryer that has a cool feature, it wasnt hot or anything but it wasnt cold air either. The water inside the tank is 82 F. I don't think it did much.

^^^ Thats what happens when you post from your phone

:nono:

I assume you understood that I meant "cold" and "asking" .

yes I know what you meant. I think I can sleep soundly tonight for I don't see anymore water and when I push up on the ledge no water comes forward, there is in some places what looks like a salt creep, dried white crust looking stuff where the water was.

Back
Top Bottom