Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

My 55 gallon reef build.

Ok everyone I upgraded from 29 to this tank. It has been set up for almost 6 weeks so now the stocking starts!

As you can see in the pics there are 2 clowns , one royal gramma, and one bi-color angel( which thankful has not been picking at anything hes not supposed to). Theres some snails, crabs, and an emerald crab as well.

Rock is not all that pretty yet but it is on its way, will be adding more soon.
Lighting is Coralife 4x65 watts, 2 10k and 2 Actinic. The only filtration right now is the AC filter which is holding up fine until I get my DIY 20 gallon sump finished which I'll be starting sometime next week. For now I'm performing weekly water changes, yesterday PH was 8.2 and nitrites where 0 and same for ammonia.

Looking into what to add next feel to give me any advice or suggestions.
Here are some pics for now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0306.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	29160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	29161  

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	29162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	29163  

Old 02-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
is back to save the day!

Very nice tank. It looks extremely clean. Keep an eye on that angel! But still, it's very beautiful. Always loved angels, never had the guts to put them in any of my reefs.

Think about adding any more rocks? Funny story, but those zoas are the very first zoas i ever started out with. Guess they are pretty popular.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Couple more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	29164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	29165  

Old 02-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Very nice tank. It looks extremely clean. Keep an eye on that angel! But still, it's very beautiful. Always loved angels, never had the guts to put them in any of my reefs.

Think about adding any more rocks? Funny story, but those zoas are the very first zoas i ever started out with. Guess they are pretty popular.
Thanks, yea good luck so far with the angel, I heard it is pretty much hit or miss. Yea I will be adding more LR pretty soon hope it will come together nicely. The zoas seemed like a good starter, we will see
Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
is back to save the day!

Yeah they were for me.. until they closed up all together and then melted away. I blame it on the fact that they were placed pretty high up in my tank and i had a really powerful T5 fixture. Should have thought of it at the time, but i didn't. :/

Anywho.. looking forward to seeing this thing grow out.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Great start, nice fish,take it slow.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What are you planning on putting on the right side of the tank, 1 huge piece of LR or will it look like the left side? I would also get a background to hide those wires. Do you have a sump/think about getting 1?

So far it looks great!

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

At Zero: that sucks, My light is not quite that strong lol ..lessons learned right lol.

Thanks appleton and uscamaro, I'm not quite sure yet on the rock I was thinking about what you said maybe just putting 1 or 2 large pieces full of holes in the right corner. In 1 to 2 weeks I'll be making a sump from a 20 long tank and when that time comes I'll have some questions on the protein skimmer for sure . Thanks!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
looks nice so far. i've always had good luck with flame angels. i've kept quite a few of them in different systems and they were perfect......angels.

you might want to upgrade the power heads down the road. you could probably take them out and replace them with just 2 koralia 3's. might make the tank look less cluttered up top there.

as you can see, you have very little algae. keep that in mind when adding algae eaters like snails. you might want to put a little piece of nori in there on a clip, or wedged between 2 rocks for the herbivores (the angel might like a nip too).
Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
looks nice so far. i've always had good luck with flame angels. i've kept quite a few of them in different systems and they were perfect......angels.

you might want to upgrade the power heads down the road. you could probably take them out and replace them with just 2 koralia 3's. might make the tank look less cluttered up top there.

as you can see, you have very little algae. keep that in mind when adding algae eaters like snails. you might want to put a little piece of nori in there on a clip, or wedged between 2 rocks for the herbivores (the angel might like a nip too).
Hey Mr. X yea thanks to your past advice everything is going pretty well lol. I was torn between the flame angel or the bi-color and when it came down to it the LFS could not get the flame to eat for me. Yea I CAN'T wait to replace some of those power heads it really takes away from the tank when I'm looking at it at home. I actually have some green marine aglea pieces and now that you say it I probably should stick some up in there. Thanks, BTW Perfect......angels...lol

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com