Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

HA that my friend is a tricky question... I have a very unusual situation.

I had my stand built for me by a friend of the family. He did a very good job, probably the sturdiest(spelling?) I have ever seen. However, the inside is very restricted as far as width goes. So currently all I can do is have a sump next to my tank. Its a 33gal rubbermaid bin, with a smaller 10gal rubbermaid bin inside it. I have my overflow pouring into the 10gal that has the skimmer in it. I cut some teeth in the 10gal so water can pour out, and keep the water level in the 10gal bin consistant. Then I have my return pump/heater/powerhead in the 33gal part.

HOWEVER, I am today setting up a new setup. I bought two rubbermaid bins that I can squeeze under my stand. Because if the narrow width in the middle of the stand, Im connecting two 20gal bins with a 1.5inch bulkhead.

Bin on the left will have the skimmer in it with consistant water level. This will feed into the second bin. Bin on the right will become a fudge with a small custom built chamber to seperate the return pump and keep its water level consistant as well.

Lol ya that stand threw me off bad. Have a 30gal glass sump that I cant even use.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

interesting. I just want to keep my sump as deep as possible..problem is skimmer will go in chamber before my return chamber which means 2 of the 3 chambers in the 18" deep sump will be 8 inches deep.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why do you want your sump to be "as deep as possible?"

If you do have a deep sump, make sure you throw a power head in there to keep the water moving.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

more water the better right... plus more water in a return means less chance of evaporation problems
Old 07-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds04 View Post
more water the better right... plus more water in a return means less chance of evaporation problems
The more water the better yes, but evaporation will always be working against you. An auto top off rig is very easy to setup and will be better IMO.

I'd rather have a normal sump that works properly, then sacraficing the functionality of the sump just to add a little more water volume.

If your worried about the water level in your sump being too high to set a skimmer in, just raise the skimmer a bit. Set it on top of one of those plastic crates walmart has or some kind of butter tub or something.

Also, are you still planning on putting the return in the center and have the left and right sides of the sump for the overflows?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

considering it but open to anything. I never thought about just setting the skimmer on something lol. I guess I could just make all my chambers 15" and sit the skimmer on something 7" high.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just finished filling molds of DIY live rock. Tomorrow I will dig it out and we will see. I am a little skeptical on it being dry in 24hrs. I covered all my molds on top as well with the oyster. Do you guys think it will be dry tomorrow? Does it hurt to leave it in a little longer? What is the best way to check to see if it is done? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pics or it didnt happen!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol this is all I can do for now.
[/IMG]
future 30 gallon sump
[/IMG]
current 10 gallon
[/IMG]
Old 07-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gonna check the rock later today. If done I'll get some pics

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com