My clown died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But I don't get why they sell 10 gallons then if you can't fit any fish and how is it that they have 5 clowns in a 10 gallon at pet stores their is like 4 10 gallons full of clown why can't I just keep 2?!?

You CAN fit fish in there, but you need to look at the right fish. Look at fish that qualify as "nano" fish and you can fit 3 or 4 in there.

I at least want something to host my anemone even if it is one and then I'll get like a damsel or something nano...

angelf said:
But I don't get why they sell 10 gallons then if you can't fit any fish and how is it that they have 5 clowns in a 10 gallon at pet stores their is like 4 10 gallons full of clown why can't I just keep 2?!?

Its wrong, but they usually sell the fish, yours had to live in the tank for a while. And usually the tanks are more gallons becausethey are depper then you think

angelf said:

The fush store is absolutly no example of how fiah keeping should be. It is almost always wrong, because the stores plan on selling those fish quickly, and this is not a permanrnt home for them. And as far as why do they sell ten gallons, ten gallons can house lots of different types of nano fish gor sw, and a ton of varietys for fw. Why do they sell 1 gallon tanks for fish? Bowls? They just do. You just have to research.

I agree, take out the anenome. Odds are your lights cant sustain it, and it is dieing or will die. Then, picture a nuke going off in your tank. Not good

I at least want something to host my anemone even if it is one and then I'll get like a damsel or something nano...

Dude, I don't know how many ways to say this (along with everyone else here) - you are setting yourself up for failure. Your tank is too small for what it is you're looking to do.

Here's some chemistry basics for you:
A large fish pooing in a small tank will pollute a larger percentage of water then a small fish pooing in a large tank. This means it takes fewer fish in a small tank to pollute the water then it does in a large tank. This is pretty obvious, I would think.

What's NOT always obvious is that along with the fish poo, nitrites and nitrates can be thrown horribly out of whack in a small tank with only a small variance in water quality because, well...there's just not that much water to dilute the problem. I have a 77 gallon tank. I've had fish die in the tank that I've never found and I don't even see a blip in the nitrite radar because, quite simply, its a small corpse trying to pollute a large-ish amount of water (in addition to having a butt-ton of live rock in there to filter out the nitrites/nitrates/other assorted crud)

In a 10 gallon tank, on the other hand, something like a dead fish is enough to throw your nitrite levels off the charts.

In addition, if you really want to see decimation, keep that anemone in there. Unless you have some intense lighting on that 10 gallon tank, it's going to die as anemones rely heavily on light to be sustained. And if it dies...dude...you don't want to know what that will do to anything and everything else living in that tank.

If you want to succeed, listen to what people are saying here. I've been kepeing saltwater tanks for awhile and am just now getting ready to dive into the world of corals, but I've kept fish tanks long enough to know that what everyone here is saying is right.

The same principles, incidentally, apply to ANY fish tank, beit fresh or salt water.

angelf said:

You know that a clown doesnt even need an anenome to be happy? It can host a powerhead!! People always get the image of nemo in their heads, but it is false. The only clown small enough is an occerillis, and even THAT is too big for a 10.
Ditch thr anenome.

bighabeeb said:
Dude, I don't know how many ways to say this (along with everyone else here) - you are setting yourself up for failure. Your tank is too small for what it is you're looking to do.

Here's some chemistry basics for you:
A large fish pooing in a small tank will pollute a larger percentage of water then a small fish pooing in a large tank. This means it takes fewer fish in a small tank to pollute the water then it does in a large tank. This is pretty obvious, I would think.

What's NOT always obvious is that along with the fish poo, nitrites and nitrates can be thrown horribly out of whack in a small tank with only a small variance in water quality because, well...there's just not that much water to dilute the problem. I have a 77 gallon tank. I've had fish die in the tank that I've never found and I don't even see a blip in the nitrite radar because, quite simply, its a small corpse trying to pollute a large-ish amount of water.

In a 10 gallon tank, on the other hand, something like a dead fish is enough to throw your nitrite levels off the charts.

If you want to succeed, listen to what people are saying here. I've been kepeing saltwater tanks for awhile and am just now getting ready to dive into the world of corals, but I've kept fish tanks long enough to know that what everyone here is saying is right.

The same principles, incidentally, apply to ANY fish tank, beit fresh or salt water.

I totally agree. I dont even have a saltwater tank! Just fw, but the knowledge still applies. Listen man, i know you dont want to here this, but there are some other sweet fish out there.

Well put, bighabeeb

Well thanks guys! I guess I'll try to trade in my anemone at my local salt water aquarium store to get store credit and get some fish. But if I do that then can I get these things (1 or 2 small corals, small and, peppermint shrimps. Is that fine, and I have great lighting I have LED lighting for my tank very good lighting..

angelf said:
Well thanks guys! I guess I'll try to trade in my anemone at my local salt water aquarium store to get store credit and get some fish. But if I do that then can I get these things (1 or 2 small corals, small and, peppermint shrimps. Is that fine, and I have great lighting I have LED lighting for my tank very good lighting..

Yes!!!! I am happy you will do this!! Yes, you can have as many corals as youd like in a 10g, as long as they will fit!! And please put your stock list on a thread before you make and purchases, i want it to be perfect:)

That sounds like a great plan, but you need to let you bacteria catch up. Just throwing more fish in there now will kill them too. You're basically cycling all over again. I'd definatly take that nem out asap, your lights should be able to hold him as long as they're descent led's, but the water parameters will kill him.

LED lighting can be good, but lets take things one step at a time.

I think that swapping out the anemone for a couple smaller fish and maybe a peppermint shrimp is a good idea. But remember, start small.

What are you doing for filtration in this tank? Standard over the top hanging type filter I'm assuming? What is in the tank besides fish...i.e. substrate? rock work etc?

My apologies if I came across as harsh before - not my intention. I know it's disappointing when you find out you can't necessarily do what you'd like in the tank you have: even worse when you end up learning that the hard way (I myself had a bit of an issue with a puffer fish that way way WAY outgrew the tank it was in because I just didnt know any better).

Okay this is my list :
2 small fire fish goby
1 small blenny
4 small corals
3 peppermint shrimp
3 hermit crabs
1 cleaner shrimp

Okay this is my list :
2 small fire fish goby
1 small blenny
4 small corals
3 peppermint shrimp
3 hermit crabs
1 cleaner shrimp

What is in the tank for filtration at this point? Live rock? Hanging filter? Cannister?

Don't even THINK about adding corals just yet :)

angelf said:
Okay this is my list :
2 small fire fish goby
1 small blenny
4 small corals
3 peppermint shrimp
3 hermit crabs
1 cleaner shrimp

Fire fish goby? How about, 2 peppermint shrimp and 1 cleaner? Also, some
Snails?

Back
Top Bottom