Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

My clown died

My clown fish died I'm so sad!!!! my nitrates were high but my anemone is perfectly fine, I did a water change today. Now my other clown is dying he is not swimming and he is laying on the ground I put him in a bowl with clean nitrate free perfect salt water to see if he might get better. Pet store said they have no idea what is wrong because anemones usually are more sensitive than clowns!!! What is wrong with my clown??

Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What are the exact readings? How long has the tank been established? Size? Stock? Any external problems with your clown? How large of a water change did you do? Putting your clown in a bowl might have stressed him out even more...

I am extremly sorry about your poor clowns, I hope The other can pull through

Old 11-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, more info!!!!

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long have you had the clowns and where did you get the salt water that you put him into/did the water change with?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay I don't know my exact readings I think it was 20 ppm nitrate, nitrite 2.0 , ammonia is good . My tank is a 10 gallon had for 5 months know my anemone is in excellent condition but my clowns can't seem to pull through I bought a fire fish goby and it died 2 days later...
Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

My clown is upside down swimming seems like he is having trouble breathing
Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelf
Okay I don't know my exact readings I think it was 20 ppm nitrate, nitrite 2.0 , ammonia is good . My tank is a 10 gallon had for 5 months know my anemone is in excellent condition but my clowns can't seem to pull through I bought a fire fish goby and it died 2 days later...
Ok well do at least a 50 % NOW. the nitrite is wayyy to high, and the nitrate should be lower too. Im guessing its overstocked, and this is why you have excess nirtrite. You can barely squeeze 1 clown in a 10, much less 2. Also, an anenome should only be added to a tank after at least a year of establishment.

Overall, my guess is that the nitrite and nitrate got to them. Do frequent water changes and keep it perfect. Also, look into buying an api master test kit. You need it for emergencys like this to know whats goin down in your little ocean.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelf
1.) Your tank is overstocked 2.) If the tank is 5 months old and you have a nitrite reading of 2.0 something is wrong. By "ammonia is good" do you mean 0 or .25? Did you stir up the sandbed and cause a mini cycle? It seems very odd that clowns and firefish are dying yet your anenome is doing well.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelf View Post
My clown is upside down swimming seems like he is having trouble breathing
Sounds like nitrites to me...it doesn't take much in the way of nitrite to kill fish.

As a side bar you are way, way, WAY overstocking your tank which is likely why you're seeing huge levels of nitrite. In a 10 gallon tank you should have AT MOST 5 - 7 inches of fish (some would say push it to 10, I do not subscribe to that, but I also tend to way understock my tanks)...and that's if you're using some massive filtration and doing water changes like a maniac.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's official my other clown died !!! omg this is so sad ... I can't believe this

Tags
clown, die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com