My fighting conch is MIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got 2 fighting Conch's about a month ago the first week they were everywhere crusing around really cool to watch. Now its been 3 weeks since I have seen either of them. Did they get abducted by aliens or just buried in the sand and not coming out. Are they nocturnal?? any thought would be appreciated.

On a side note my brother was wondering what size tank do you need to keep a pirahna. He is not planning to get one just a curious question.

Thanks,

They do burrow in the sand, but three weeks is a bit much. I have one and have seen my hermits trying to take the shell, but he just "jumped" away. Mine doesn't seem to be nocturnal and even climbs up the side of my tank. I assume you haven't found their shells, so they could be cleaning out a cave or just under the sand.

They do burrow in the sand, but three weeks is a bit much. I have one and have seen my hermits trying to take the shell, but he just "jumped" away. Mine doesn't seem to be nocturnal and even climbs up the side of my tank. I assume you haven't found their shells, so they could be cleaning out a cave or just under the sand.
I dont have any hermit crabs and they were really active at first now nothing. They shells were good size and I cant find them.

They could be behind some rock. Mine disappear for days then come back around to the front of the tank and start their circuit over. I'm not sure I've ever gone 3 weeks without seeing 1 or the other though.

Agree that 3 weeks is a little long without seeing them. The one I had finally went to the big tank in the sky a couple weeks ago. It just kind of stopped moving around and eventually became nassarius food. I think it starved because after researching more I've found recommendations that you put in no more than 1 per 50 gallons.

Agree that 3 weeks is a little long without seeing them. The one I had finally went to the big tank in the sky a couple weeks ago. It just kind of stopped moving around and eventually became nassarius food. I think it starved because after researching more I've found recommendations that you put in no more than 1 per 50 gallons.
I have 2 for 46gallons but to starve and die after 2weeks? And I don't see the shell. I guess I could dig around in the sand for it but then I would stir things up which I don't want. Kinda frustrating they weren't cheap and I really thought they were cool to watch.

I have one in my 75 and after I put him in the tank I didnt see him for about 2 weeks. They could be anywhere in there really, 3 weeks is a pretty long time, but they could pop up when you least expect it.

I just saw one of the 2 fighting conch's about 1 month later. Crazy must of had lots to munch on under the sand./ hopefully the other one will surface soon.

Back
Top Bottom