My first reef tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it's a sad day. It looks like my new clown got stuck in some rocks and died. He was out and happy yesterday and saw him stuck dead today. Poor little guy, I liked him.

Well it's a sad day. It looks like my new clown got stuck in some rocks and died. He was out and happy yesterday and saw him stuck dead today. Poor little guy, I liked him.

Eek. I'm sorry. :(

Oh man I'm very sorry to hear that, that chocolate was so cool looking. I'd be rich if I added the cost of fish over all the years.

So it wasn't a total loss. My LFS gave me 50% back in store credit. I am still bummed about loosing the little guy but its not as bad now. Gotta love a good LFS that recognizes you as a loyal customer.

So I have heard that trumpets are fast growers but mine did nothing for 3 months. I think it may be splitting now but I'm not sure. It looks like it is forming the shape of 2 heads with the 1 head closest to the camera. The only reason I'm not sure is when my hammer splits its mouth splits but I don't think the mouth on my trumpet split. Is this normal splitting for a trumpet or should its mouth split like on my hammer?

image-2098977482.jpg

Sorry for the sub par pic. My iPhone struggles with the vibrant color on this coral.

I don't have candy canes now, but that's what mine looked like. Also mine grew slow also, maybe my tank at the time was lacking trace elements, not sure.

Yeah, I don't dose or test for any of those because it seems that in a smaller tank it is Cheaper and easier to just do regular water changes to keep them up. I am just relying on my salt to have what I need. I am hoping it splits though. I want it to get big because it adds great color to my tank.

So it looks like it is splitting which is funny since I was complaining about it not growing last week. I also noticed a new head budding on my duncan. I'm pretty excited for both.

image-2492184159.jpg

image-2688173097.jpg

I purchased a black clown today, I am currently acclimating her. I'm not sure why my last one didn't make it but I am hoping I have better luck with this one. She ( i say she since it is bigger than my orange and am hoping it becomes a she) is looking really healthy and is eating.

Any advice to help the process? Also how long should I drip acclimate? I usually do an hour to an hour and a half, is that long enough?

Yeah I did an hour and a half of my "drip method" where I poor in water every 15 minutes. I am a bit paranoid I guess. The fish are pricey and I don't want to harm any creatures. Anyway, she looks nice and has already made a friend.

image-2617907675.jpg

The drip method refers to the process of using a piece of airline tubing to siphon tank water into your newly purchased fishes bag. I tie a loose knot it in so it literally drips into the bag, usually a drip a second. Not saying your method is wrong, I have just heard a few people call it a drip method when that is not the case. :)

Yeah, I know that is the drip method but I don't know what this is called. It has worked for me this far.

Well good news today, she is eating and there is no aggression in the tank. Now I just hope the two pair up, I have wanted to try this since I started my tank. I think a pair of clowns of different colors is cool. Has anyone had any luck with this?

As long as they are the same species of clown there won't be a problem. I had 2 black and white clowns in my 55 and an orange in my 36. When the smaller b&w died, I replaced it with the orange. It can be hit miss with pairing, but making sure your new one is smaller will help.

Haha, well as you can see in the picture my new one is about twice the size as my existing clown. The old one was still really small but they seem to be getting along fine. I hope it works, it's good to hear it works from more people.

I just ordered an led kit from rapidled.com. It is the first of my upgrade, I am going to put half of it over my 29 while I finish the rest of my 90 setup. I am super excited to finally have enough lighting for anything I want. I am working on my controller so I will be ready when my lights arrive.

I just ordered an led kit from rapidled.com. It is the first of my upgrade, I am going to put half of it over my 29 while I finish the rest of my 90 setup. I am super excited to finally have enough lighting for anything I want. I am working on my controller so I will be ready when my lights arrive.

I know you have already ordered, but I added a 48" blue led bar from Reef Brite. Wow, what a difference. I think you'll be very happy.

Back
Top Bottom