My sump smells and I don't know what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a smell coming from the sump on my 120 gallon reef. The water in the tank itself has no odor at all. I use Chemipure in the sump and change it every three weeks or so, and that makes no difference. Anyone know of anything I can use that'll take the smell away?

The smell is like an oceanic organic odor...not too strong but it is something I'd like to get rid of. It's hard to describe better than that. The only medium I use is Chemipure...I use three of them that I change ever three weeks. The tank is 120 gallons with 140 or so pounds of live rock. I have a big Aqua-C skimmer on the tank that's always on. Like I said, the water in the tank doesn't smell at all, just the water that's in the sump.

Sounds like it smells like a sump should. If you have bio-balls you might want to change them out with LR rubble. Maybe time to clean the sump??

Well, mine kind of smells like the ocean. Every few months I remove the LR rubble and vac out the sedement on the bottom. I ussualy clean the filter pad and plumbing as well. A few months ago I was having a small nitrate problem. One of the things I did was to replace all of my bio-balls with LR rubble pieces from the LFS. Bio-balls are great at converting nitrite to nitrate but do not work great at removing nitrates. LR rubble takes this a step further and successfully grows bacteria that removes nitrate. I have noticed a significant decrease in nitrate since adding LR rubble.

do you have a skimmer in the sump? It may actually be the foam in the collection cup that you're smelling.

Back
Top Bottom