I bought a flame angel almost 2 weeks ago(2wks on Sat). He was healthy and eating well at the pet store and when I got him home was doing wonderfully in my quarentine tank for the first 2-3 days.
Then, I had real ammonia spike and have had trouble keeping ammonia down ever since. A day or so later I noticed what I thought was fin/tail rot. Very minor and very early. I concentrated on keeping ammonia down -- using both detox and water changes and started dosing Maracyn. Dosed 2 days UNTIL I realized the meds were expired. Took them back to the lfs
and learned that their entire stock was expired. Rather than going with Maracyn-two, which they had in stock and not expired, they suggested treating with Melafix, which they said was a bit easier on the fish. Started that 3 days ago....BUT on that day during a water change, my heater broke and the temp dropped 5-10 degrees over night, ammonia also spiked again. 8O
NOW, the temp is stable, and ammonia is way down, and I'm continuing melafix. But my formerly happy healthy flame angel, is a washed out, and eating less. Fin and tail seem the same, perhaps a bit better.
He has had a tough 2 weeks! I'm thinking of just transfering him to my main tank now (actually tomorrow). My main tank is nice and stable, with really no flux in temp, ammonia, etc. I really think the instability of quarentine tank is the cause of all the problems.
What would you do
Ideas soon...I really want to save this guy, but don't want to kill my clowns, shrimp, etc.