Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes exactly you can't afford a proper home for them that's like buying a dog knowing you won't be able to afford a vet and this hobby isn't cheap why go into something you can't afford at the moment ? It's awesome that u wanna be apart of this hobby but honestly you should of saved the big fish for when you are capable to house them ik I sound like a d*** but that's the truth

Old 02-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

First off how do you know your fish are happy? Your very likely stressing them out every single day by keeping them in such a small space. Yes they make "look" happy but are they truly in the right environment they should be housed in? Consider trading them in for smaller more tank compatible size fish.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

when someone puts a yellow tang in a tank too small what's the life expectency? Are we talking years, months? I don't have any tangs and bought all my fish based on tank size but what if I throw a yellow tang in my 50 gallon? On this website everyone is constantly debating tangs in smaller systems but on youtube you'd be hard pressed to find a video of a reef tank without a tang no matter the size. Just wondering what is the outcome everyone is afraid of when it comes to the ever popular yellow tang?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I've never kept a tang in a small tank for very long, but They get stressed out, their immune system weakens, and then they succumb to some random disease.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

There cheap fish buy them small but get rid of them before they get big because it's cruel to them they like swimming room !! Yes I know every aquarium in zoos and large hotels like the borgata in Atlantic city has huge tangs in tiny tanks !! But why be cruel scoop em out and get a new baby one I do it every year to all my fish !!! Keeps you interested in your tank !! Dam it's only been 3 months with my new fish and I have the itch to get all new ones already lol
Old 02-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema
There cheap fish buy them small but get rid of them before they get big because it's cruel to them they like swimming room !! Yes I know every aquarium in zoos and large hotels like the borgata in Atlantic city has huge tangs in tiny tanks !! But why be cruel scoop em out and get a new baby one I do it every year to all my fish !!! Keeps you interested in your tank !! Dam it's only been 3 months with my new fish and I have the itch to get all new ones already lol
Yeah....... If that's what u need to stay interested in your tank then obviously maybe your better off at finding something diff to do i just find that weird like I would never trade in my guys
Old 02-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not a hobby to me it's a show tank in my living room I have no attachment to anything in that tank , I spend a boat load of money on top equipment to keep it running maintenance free !! My 10,000 gal koi pond is my thing I have those fish 15 years now and there all over 3 feet long 35 of them that's we're I spend my time on maintenance they eat 5lb of koi food a week
Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Love koi you got any pics of them?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

This the only 1 I have on my iPhone but I recommend a koi pond to anyone the fish have personality you sit next to the pond for a cigar and they will let you pet them !! But like tangs if you are going to keep them over a year they get BIG fast you need water volume and at least 4 feet deep I prefer 5 feet so nothing can eat them other wise easy to keep
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-501949848.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	76990  
Old 02-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a small koi pond in my back yard as a kid they were great. I'm thinking of digging a bigone in the yard again.

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com