need help reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well lookin at the picture does it look good to you guys I still have questions I want to make my tank a reef tank but I'm 22 an on a cheap budget cause rent an things but I don't have a skimmer or anything to make a sump an at that no stand my tanks on my bar in my apt. Lol jus not sure bout some things do I have to have the sump tank an skimmer I have t5 4x39 lights with 4 l.e.d.s

I have no stand to put the sump or idle how I wish drill it or how else to do it an no room to put a skimmer on top

How big is the tank? I have a 28 gallon w/out a sump, though I do have a protein skimmer (Hydor in-tank nano type). It gunk a lot of gunk out so while some people say it isn't necessary for a small tank, it sure is helpful. :D

It's a 40g long tank I have a twin power head an a single one also a xp2 external filter I have a leather coral an neon green fuzzy mushroom I just got an some polyps I have had few months but I did have Kenya trees I lost

If you already have a skimmer then I would suggest a hob refug. It will help. Iv seen many people DIY them out of hon filters. For the man on a budget. YouTube it. DIY hob refugium

Is that a yellow tang I see in the background? You do know that yellow tangs and most any other tang need a 6 foot long tank right?

The yellow tang along with the niger trigger are a for sure no yellow tank needs at least 6+ feet along with the trigger keeping a trigger in that small of the tank will cause problems don't be shocked if you come home once and the trigger just loses it and kills everyone, it's also unhealthy to the fish they get stressed more there for are prone to diseases I'm sure like most stores they wouldn't tell you that cuz there just in it for the money there for its really important to do a lot of research before you take on the responsibility of an animals life hope you do the right thing

No need for a refugium !!! skimmer would help but not needed !! I have a 90 gal cube with no fuge but it has a sump with skimmer and it is pristine !! I've ran tanks for years with no skimmer and no problems just need to run carbon and gfo and some purgin to keep it pristine !!!

I've had the tang an trigger since I had it an only reason I've lost any fish would be cause my own mistakes but I know its small an will get a bigger tank one day but all the fish are fine no spikes if I don't do my water change ammonia goes up of course but over all my tank has been good to me an no fish has had any sicknesses I do appreciate the comments tho I like tips

So you don't see nothing wrong with keeping a tang&trigger in a 40 gallon?

I have a sail fin and a hippo in a 24 and they are my happiest fish when they get to big for ur tank trade them in !!! I trade all my fish in every year for new ones I get tired of looking at the same fish !! And small fish have the best color !! When they get two big they loose there sharp colors !! A lfs will be glad to take free fish mine even give me some free new ones !!

Those fish won't survive long term. I would get more rock and cure it in a separate bin then add it after I removed the tang and trigger.

Why is it such a big deal anyway the two are my happiest fish an they don't bother anyone or anything they get fed garlic to build they're immune systems if any of my fish is a bother it wide ne my domino damsel or my sandswifter starfish which ate my lemon damsel I am new to the hobby an the trigger an tang are my most expensive fish I wudnt give them away I would trade but where deff wouldnt jus give them away cause I'm on a budget an jus can't go out an buy a 100 fish so I wudnt say it was a gd or bad thing I have them in a 40g tank they seem fine eat well an no illnesses so jus cause I can't afford a huge tank I shudnt get a big fish

Back
Top Bottom